• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Slightly different block heater questions.

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
How many Watts is it? Preferably from a manual, or someone who knows for sure. I did a search over at the Place and I read 1,000, 1,500, 1,800 & some hand calculated :icon_bs:. People have put a meter on it and read that it is pulling 7.5 Amps, so I've got that number, just no wattage figure.

Is it thermostatically controlled or is it on full power all the time?

Thank you guys in advance, I know I'm gonna get the answer I'm looking for over here.:thumbsup:

If that amp number is right then it should be 900 watts. (7.5 amps x 120 volts = 900 watts)

There is no t-stat on my 06, nor was there a t-stat on my 01. Some have said there is a new cord and it will not kick on until it gets below 0 degrees.

I believe that the block heater is option KA4 or K05 - ENGINE BLOCK HEATER 1000 WATT. It is not thermostatically controlled; it is on whenever it is plugged in.

I believe that the block heater is option KA4 - ENGINE BLOCK HEATER 1000 WATT. It is not thermostatically controlled; it is on whenever it is plugged in.

Unless you limped it due to plugging in above 0 deg. the dealer would install a thermostat, I had to stop the dealer from doing this after I limped mine.

Don't know about the dmax, but my 496 block heater won't come on until it is below 0F (apparently the 2.4 degrees it is right now isn't cold :rolleyes5: . The thermostat for it is a "tumor" that is close to the plug end of the cord. There's even a "warning" note sticker next to the tumor that says it wont work until below 0.

I do remember the other place had some threads on this, and some tried bypassing the tumor which resulted in a CEL sometimes getting set permanently. I think it came down to an emission thing where the computer was confused with temperature differences between the block and antifreeze when it was closer to 32 degrees. I'm not entirely sure, because it doesn't make much sense, to me anyway, and not all the guys ended up with the CEL.

Whaaaa? I've been plugging it in since it was 15(+) or so outside, no CEL, no problems. My glow plugs haven't needed to cycle after it's been plugged in either, additionally the truck warms up much faster. Hence all my questions.

Good info so far. I really appreciate the RPO code, totally forgot it had one.

If I plug mine in while the engine is still hot, I get no CEL but if I let the engine cool down and I plug in when it's not 0 deg f or less I get the code.

Keep it plugged in for 3 or more hours and you should not get any codes. I plug mine in warm or cold and have never gotten any codes. Also I have not plugged it in for less than 3 hours at a time either.

I was under the impression that the dmax's didn't have the thermostat. Something that only the gassers had. Easy enough to tell. Just look at the plug and see if there is a "bubble" a short distance from the end.

Thank you all for the replies. I knew I loved this site. Now all I have to do is find a statement from the power company and figure out how much we're paying for a kW-hr.

Do you have Avista on that side of the state line? This has got to be the cheapest electricity I've ever had. Up until our cold snap I've been heating my whole house with space heaters for $100/month. Finally had to turn the Toyo stove on though.

Yes we do. Every time I hear someone talk of getting rid of the dams in this area I just want to kick 'em square in the knutsack. I love the cost of electricity in this area.

Yeah same here. I have plugged mine in when it was around 30-35F and no codes or CEL, but truck was nice and warm when it started and heater was hot right the start (very nice). If remember correctly, the coolant was around 130-140F after about 6 hours.

If it is going to be below 20 or so I plug it in. It isn't so it starts its so it warms up faster. I pull into the driveway and pop the hood and plug it in even with the engine being warm. I have also left it plugged in for 5 days straight with out driving it and never an issue. Never had any code etc. Its an 06 LBZ.

My block heater also has the thermostat in the electrical cord by the plug, but I really don't think I'll be using it all that often here in SW Louisiana since I can't remember it ever getting 0*F. But if I ever go up north in the winter I guess I'm good to go. :D

Back