• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Slightly concerned

Where was the wiring damage for the CPS code 19? Further inspection is in order.

The codes went away!!! :facepalm: Because the computer doesn't want to turn the damn light on and cause a warranty repair. It ignores faults say like a dead short for up to 30 seconds and hopes it just goes away. Sometimes they do. Only after the fault is present long enough and under a specific test criteria like engine warmed up, above 35 MPH, etc. does it actually run a test and set a code. Artificial Stupidity perfected and a primitive ECM as well.

Code 34 is telling you to have a spare PMD available. Usually best on a heatsink mounted to the front bumper... Could also be fuel problems like a bad lift pump. But as you worked on wire problems it may just be more stuff the mice ate the insulation off of.

After clearing the codes and restarting the truck(with no ses) i drove it anofher 10 miles and got her well up to temp(and over 70 which it never did before so it surprised me...lol). The only codes that show up now are 29 and 78. Im not concerned about those though because as i said, gp relay is bypassed and the vaccumn pump is gone(manual wastegate). I came home, shut her down, restarted a few times, replaced the ac compressor(again), restarted and drove "around the block" again(12 miles). Pushed her pretty hard and she never missed a beat(rolled baby coal a few times though...lol). Im pretty sure the ecm relearned the cps(the wire damage was on the cps iteslf) and the stepper motor started doing its job correctly thanks to the new cps and pmd(which is remotely mounted on a heat sink).

I suggest rethinking "I am not concerned about code X." When the ECM sets a code it can enter "Limp Mode". This limp mode is to get home without hurting things. It reduces power, may keep 4th gear or TCC lockup from happening, limiting fuel to the engine, etc.

The ECM isn't designed to be screwed with via bypasses and disconnecting things. You got to tell it to ignore removed things...

Code 78 related to turbo boost code may limit fuel to the engine as the ECM is thinking the turbo isn't working. Further it may put you in a low power situation where you can't get out of the way. Did you remove the solenoid itself? Many leave it plugged in to keep the codes down. A tune that turns that code off can also help.

Back