• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Slider hitch or not?

Dmax650tq

Reaction score
I am buying a 5th wheel and have towed only bumper pulls before. I see I have a choice between a slider 5th wheel hitch and one that doesn't slide. I have a 6.5 foot bed on my truck and I am buying a Keystone Outback and it has the reliefs on the front corners to provide a little bit more turning clearance.

So, do I need a slider or not? What do ya think?

Thanks for the great info in advance.

I have the same bed, I have a slider and it has come in handy when I'm backing into a tight jack knife site. I like the slider but you can go with out it if your carefull.

Well I actually have a 5th wheel but am in the process of getting it set-up for my new truck.Have not even pulled one yet lol.But to me if the product is there to serve a purpose and keep you from crunching the poop outta your truck,why not get it.The price up front is a little more but then you are done worrying about it-small price great piece of mind.

Dodge has the shortest cab to axle of all and I have NEVER slid my slider and I tow a bunch.

Dodge has the shortest cab to axle of all and I have NEVER slid my slider and I tow a bunch.

So it sounds like I may not need it, but it wouldn't hurt to have it, except for cost? Right? Are there any performance or longevity advantages of the nonslider over the slider?

I use my slider about 40% of backing up time. It puts the pin behind the axle wich makes the trailer act more like a bumper pull and it "comes around" quicker. I have the square tube Reese 16K, the only thing I did is shim it where it attaches to the rails. It tightens everything up and you get less rattling.

If you decide on no slider look at the one hole design, I forget the name but it's just one hole in the center of the bed. Much cleaner, especially if you use the bed for gravel sand etc..

I am leaning toward the slider because then if I need it I have it. That way I don't get into a situation and wish I had a slider.

I am looking at the Reese Pro 15K. The 5th wheel I am looking at buying has a GVWR of 9800 and the pin weight is 1545. Is that one a good hitch for that unit?

I am leaning toward the slider because then if I need it I have it. That way I don't get into a situation and wish I had a slider.

I am looking at the Reese Pro 15K. The 5th wheel I am looking at buying has a GVWR of 9800 and the pin weight is 1545. Is that one a good hitch for that unit?

Makes good sense to me it will be that once that you wish you had it and if you eliminate that then its all good.

5er's are like horsepower you always want more. If you have a family and as they grow the trailer kind of shrinks inside. I'd go for the 16K for the higher capacity and I think they are more popular thus might be easier to find and cheaper for the capacity.

Oh, that other hitch I was thinking about is the B&W turnover ball hitch with the 5er hitch attachment. Kind of spendy and I don't think they have the slider option.

Towing a 5er is much better than a bumper pull, I just got back from PA and according to the GPS thing I had a top speed of 82MPH. Never so much as burped never mind sway.

5er's are like horsepower you always want more. If you have a family and as they grow the trailer kind of shrinks inside. I'd go for the 16K for the higher capacity and I think they are more popular thus might be easier to find and cheaper for the capacity.

My truck is rated to to 15600 GVWR for 5th wheel or goose neck, according to the GMC tow guide for 2006, so I thought the 15k was close enough. I know the 16k has higher capacity, but since I am a repeat buyer with my dealer, he will through the 15k slider in as part of the deal. I haven't asked about the 16k, so that is something to consider.

I'd personally go with the higher rated slider hitch. That way you won't have to buy another one later.

Back