• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sirrus Antenna Wire To Shark Fin Antenna

RYDNHI4X4

Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog
Reaction score
My external antenna for my Sirrus is about to fall apart on me and need to replace it. I have heard of someone a few years back taking the Sirrus antenna and wiring it to the shark fin antenna. Has anyone ever heard of this or know where I can find directions on how to do this?

I'll make sure 88GMCTruck sees this, we've had the sharkfins apart before and we've tinkered with things...I just don't remember what right now.

What I did was break the green clip from the XM wire side, and then the wire and connector (that was inside the green connector) will slide right on the SIR-1 worked for me for years. Just give it a little more crimp and it'll stay on there.

If you have a shark fin the wire should be there?

So do you currently have a shark fin antenna? If so, the wire should be down where the receiver was. If that is the case, you'll just need to remove the plastic around the coax plug on the wire and plug it into your sirius receiver. The xm and sirius antennas are completely interchangeable and work with one another. Actually, both the antennas for both trucks are XM units, but I have sirius radios.

As far as putting another antenna under the sharkfin, forget about it. There isn't much room under the sharkfin really. You could do it, but if it still works why bother?

If your trying to add a GM antenna to your truck, same principle applies just as long as you get a single wire antenna. Any of them will work. If you need an antenna, there are a few styles floating around. The problem is here in the US, GM used a very large XM antenna in 03-04 and 05+ switched to the sharkfin antenna. The sharkfin is for the onstar portion, however some are just XM. I don't care for either of those antennas. I did find a very low profile GM XM antenna that was used in canada. I have one i plan to install in my 02. It's about 1" x 1.5" and only 1/2" tall at most. It's as small as most aftermarket magnetic units. I can get the p/n if your interested, I think it runs about $40-50 at the dealer.

I do have the shark fin, how will I know which wire it was from the receiver.

I have had the sirius in this truck since '07 and had bestbuy install it. So I could not even tell you if the correct wire is still there.

Unless they pulled the A-pillar and headliner, the wires are still there. The antenna wire will be by itself, it's kinda ridgid and has a plug that looks like this

singleSMBFAKRAplug.jpg

you just have to unclip the plastic part and it'll just push onto the stereo connection of your sirius receiver.

I wanna get this all correct. So if I pull the glove box out that connector posted above should be in there somewhere and will plug right into the SIR-GM1

Yes, it should be up in that area somewhere. It comes down the passenger side A-pillar.

I'm not familiar with the SIR-GM1, but it should either have the same connector or just a SMB coax connector (just metal and round). If it has the bare SMB Coax, you just have to pull the plastic off from around the antenna wire.

I will check this out this weekend and get back to you. Are there any tricks or is it pretty easy to pull out the glove box.

there is a rubber stop on the side of the glovebox liner when you open it. You just kinda push the side in and it can fold all the way open.

The SIR1 will just have the metal round connection. So, you'll have to break off the green connector to slide it on.

it would help if you and everybody else please filled out your truck info so we might help each other better

Back