• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Single tire replacement on 4wd

Big T

Reaction score
Punctured a Cooper tire through the center of the tread while off-roading. Not covered under manufacturer’s warranty and did not purchase road hazard warranty. Tires have 10K miles on them. Local Missoula tire shop says they have to replace both rear tires as the unequal wear between new and used will damage the 4wd. This is on a Toyota 4Runner. We’ll move the good rear tire to the spare, but this claim of 4wd damage from unequal tire wear sounds like complete horseshit. What do you all say?

1 tire same brand etc. 10k miles shouldn’t be a problem. Probably difference in air pressure and or front to back bias.

Wife has a BMW X5. It’s full time all wheel drive with traction control. I was able to patch a tire but asked in case it’s not repairable would I have to get 2 or 4. Shop said they have replaced only 1. Said they have only had 1 car that all 4 had to be replaced. Can’t remember what it was but it was sorta exotic.

Doubt u have full time 4x4 even so I’m 99% sure your front diff is open. Just rotate them and put new tire on front if concerned.

GM mentions air pressure should be the same in all tires on vehicle equipped with autotrac....however I found that the loaded tire diameter would be slightly different front to back anyway.

Perhaps, side to side loaded diameter being different could be an issue long term on a locked rear, spool and limited slip differential I suspect its not enough to be of concern.

ABS maybe a problem if so how much loaded tire diameter would be a problem?

Back