• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Simple Q

The actual MPG we all get is varied by several different conditions:

1. Gear ratio
2. Loading
3. Engine, IP, injector, and/or timing chain condition
4. Your right foot/driving style.
5. Fuel type, quality, additives

With the truck in my signature and a camper shell, I get about 15 city/24 highway when I drive conservatively on winter blend diesel.

I hope this helps.

94 K3500 dually with 4.10s. Over 200k. I get about 14 or 15 tops

94 K3500 dually with 4.10s. Over 200k. I get about 14 or 15 tops

On a good day in the summer perhaps I'm a this range. Mostly City with some plow on I'm only capping around 12 and averaging around 10.

Tough for me in winter to get good readings, so much more idling, different diesel, different anti-gel, Plowing... 4 wheel drive etc etc.

I get about the same as Nvmtnlion, and we have similar trucks. Your dually is at a disadvantage here :)

Mine is sorta L56 as well, without EGR, but I have a performance ECM from an L65 "F" engine, and my water injection system isnt in yet. Combined mpg seems to be about 18, but I have lead foot and in central coast CA nothing is flat and the grades are tremendous and long. I've seen 24mpg on the highway before, when I dont do 80mph.

I have the simple under hood cone from SSDS, which added a lot of audible turbo whine, and some power, maybe some mileage.

If looking for MPG there are a number of things to do, first should be a new PCM probably to get some power and efficiency, since its an ever so simple mod. And if you have the like 3" exhaust need to change that too. And new injectors are a must if they have over 100K miles on them.

Tire height and width and ride height of the front end is important too.

On a good day in the summer perhaps I'm a this range. Mostly City with some plow on I'm only capping around 12 and averaging around 10.

Tough for me in winter to get good readings, so much more idling, different diesel, different anti-gel, Plowing... 4 wheel drive etc etc.

But I will add after 8 hours or so of plowing I run through a half tank, and there are a few older 460's/454's that go through 2 tanks. Give or take tank sizes differences, thats a huge difference, and I'm a heavier truck by far to boot.

24mpg is great. Thats better then my 15 city and 20 highway. So what brand exhaust did you install into your truck Matt.

I have the SSD intake as well but I have replaced my right front turn signal lens with a piece of expanded metal painted yellow and ducted the air back to the intake.

I'm getting a consistent 20-21 mpg back and forth to work(would not call it 'city' driving) and around 25 on the highway. But I have several advantages; I'm running a HHO generator, have 3.42 gears, two sticks and three pedals, and I generally drive like an old geezer :D ....

24mpg is great. Thats better then my 15 city and 20 highway. So what brand exhaust did you install into your truck Matt.

Just for clearity I get about 1/2 that 24mpg in winter anyhow :) I ordered a Jardine exhaust last summer but it never came and I had to cancel it through my Debit card to get my money back. Unfortunately, I no longer had 'extra cash', and I'm still running stock exhaust :(...

Next summer I will get a Warpspeed. I was really looking forward to this winter having the nice open breathing exhaust too... oh well, winter economy got me pinned (again).

19mpg at the moment, air filter needs a cleaning though pretty bad. last time i cleaned the filter it improved to 21-22mpg consistant. normal speeds vary from 35-50mph.

Just for clearity I get about 1/2 that 24mpg in winter anyhow :) I ordered a Jardine exhaust last summer but it never came and I had to cancel it through my Debit card to get my money back. Unfortunately, I no longer had 'extra cash', and I'm still running stock exhaust :(...

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Went with Warpspeed. I get about 16-18 to work and back and 21-24 to work and back.

Back