• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Side Post Battery Mod

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
A nice instructional for our database.

As quoted by Turbo Tahoe:

You don't need to move to top post batteries. My experience is that they do have more corrosion, for the reasons stated. There is another way to fix the side-post batteries, though.

I have had some problems with the connections to the batteries, especially the 'burb, with the connections coming loose regularly. I think the GM connections are for the birds. I took them out, replaced them with a combination of 3/8" coarse pitch steel bolts. I used them in lengths of 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" (for the double positives, etc.). I also put nuts AND lock washers on. Here's what I did.

1) Remove all battery side terminal bolts, grounds first, then positives.
2) Take wire brush and Dremel tool with wire brush and clean EVERYTHING until it shines.
3) Remove silly excess rubber hoods over cable ends
4) Put nuts and lock washers on bolts.
5) Place bolt assemblies into positive connectors, and then install them "finger-tight" into the batteries. If you want, you can snug them a little - I probably put them in about 10-12 inch-pounds.
6) Using two open end wrenches, hold the bolt head, and turn the nut/lock washer combo down, tightening the nut against the the connector, which in turn is pushing against the battery terminal. Snug them up well, probably about 10 FOOT-pounds. This is very snug.
7) I then coat the bolts with anti-corrosion gel from NAPA.

This seems to work extremely well. They don't seem to be loosening at all, and the current flow seems decidedly better. It's certainly never cranked faster.

Sincerely,

Rob

Back