• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

should've stayed in bed

bison

Reaction score
Had trouble with the JD 112 lawn tractor.

1),broke the deck drive belt,got a new one,put it on,go mow,belt broke again 15 min later:WTF: piece of made in china crap:mad2

2) went to get new belt(JD this time),forgot to turn the key off:rolleyes5:,it drained the bat,put the charger on,come back an hour later,still forgot to turn the key off,it fried the coil:rolleyes5:

by now I get slightly annoyed;)

3)i go get new coil ,put the belt on,installed the new coil,it would not start,point burned too,4 th trip to town to get new points.These are 80 click round trips.

4)install points,engine runs,i go mow,15 min later.....BOOM..:eek:...blew the engine to smittereens,broke the rod,pieces of the block all over the lawn.:WTF::angryfire:

The wife and dog go in hiding.:leaving:

I should've stayed :sleeping:eek:r gone fishing:)

Damn Simon... bad luck but you gotta admit that an early '70s JD112 has been on borrowed time for quite a while.

BS,Jeez,that G damn engine had less than 50 hrs on it:rolleyes5:,it was barely broke in,i rebuild it 4 yrs ago,it hadn't missed a beat till today.

That mill should've been good for another 50 yrs or at least till i kick the bucket:hihi:

Yup, you should of stayed in bed with that young wife of yours. Well, with your luck maybe not.:hihi:

I got lucky,a neighbor gave me a couple decent kohler engines for free,same as the one that blew up.
Heck of a lot cheaper than shopping for an other mower.

Hmm.....stupid smily's don't work?

I feel for ya. I really do. I used to own an Allis Chalmers that treated me the same way. I almost drove it into the pond one day!
The Devil lived in that tractor.

It actually has been a good lawn tractor for many yrs,never gave much probs, aways fired right up.It had the engine seize once (lack of oil,stupid me)
Don't know why it broke the rod this time(no apparent reason) although when i installed new points just 15 min before it blew it had backfired once with a mighty bang.(should've pulled the plug cable) Mebby that cracked the rod right there.:rolleyes5:

I been looking around today for a new tractor,but jeez,the good ones are pricy,even the used ones:eek:

Back to fixing the old one.;)

Running once again

Update on the repower.

I found out the standard kohlers wont fit these tractors,JD aparently had them custom build.:rolleyes5:
I managed however to modefy the standard engine and tractor frame so it would fit.

it was not an easy job as the orig engine had no pan flanges and the replacement engine did.
I had to make a plate between the block and the pan ,drill and tap holes for the oil fill tube,drill and tap holes on the PTO side of the block,machine the crank shaft PtO stub to 1" ,and rework the mounting frame as to accept the longer block and the bottom mount starter .among other things i had to modefy the frame to clear the air shroud as well.
All in all not a job i want to do again:nonod:, but it runs flawlessly

If you look closely at the pics you can see what i did by the welds and such.
+ a pic of the blown engine and the tractor back in service.

Attachments

• kohler 1.JPG
    kohler 1.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 7
  • kohler 2.JPG
    kohler 2.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 7
  • kohler hole in block.JPG
    kohler hole in block.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 10
  • JD 112.JPG
    JD 112.JPG