• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should my battery connections be copper colored?

Woody35

Reaction score
So i went to clean my battery connections because ive been chasing a clicking sound when i go to start the truck but after a few clicks it eventually starts to crank. so i went to clean my batt connections and this copper colored stuff is on some of my battery connections. i was wondering if this is normal and what i can use to take it off because a wire brush just scratches it and doesent remove it?

Battery connection1.jpgbattery connection2.jpg

The end of the battery cable that you have in your hand is also made of copper. They coat it in something for some good reason I do not know at this time.

They look clean enough to me! :thumbsup:

thanks for the info guys but crap now i got a bigger problem as to why my truck is clicking. Im guessing the starter is going or the connections at the soleniod are corroded because this is my second time cleaning the batt cables and nothing has changed. the truck still clicks every few starts before it will finally engage

Check batteries charge level, corrosion on the plug at the starter solenoid or damaged wire, ... or might be the solenoid itself.

Does your starter click only and doesn't spin, till it finally engage, or does it spin without engaging at first attempts?

i turn the key to start the truck and it just clicks. nothing else happens. after a few more turnings of the key and clicks it finally justs turns over at regular speed and starts normally.

Woody, are you taking apart the dual connectors (positive post, passenger battery) and cleaning them all out? There are 2 cables there, joined by one copper doughnut and they tend to oxidize. Also check for 'crunchy' spots in the cables near the batteries... corrosion can travel up the wires under the insulation.

Finally, yeah, check and clean the positive cable that gets to the solenoid on the starter... they crud up, too.

Well i went out last night to clean the starter connections but i bumped the crossover and i got a piece of a rust in my eye so im going to wait till this weekend to go to my grandpa's house so i can use his safety glasses and jackstands since i dont have any at my house.

............. i got a piece of soot in my eyes a couple of years ago from a tractor show and had to go to the ER. Wasnt fun at all!
got a piece of steel in my eye from grinding. went to the eye doc a week later, rusting and growing over, it was taken out. looked pretty big when it was out.

Back