• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should I get another one?

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Found this truck:

I have a 96 chevy silverado extended cab 4x4 1 ton dually for sale. 169,xxx miles. Has a 6.5L turbo diesel with a auto trans.Truck is loaded, has tow pkg with a gooseneck hitch, and has newer tires. The body is solid other than the pass. side cab corner is rusted. The bad, the truck does not run. WILL NEED TO BE TOWED/HAULED. I believe its a fuel problem but i'm no diesel mechanic. $2800 o.b.o

I have seen pictures, its not bad looking ):h:eek::D

Take it from me...Don't buy someone else's headache. I thought all my Burb needed was a fuel line. Now after HG's IP, injectors the POS still isn't right and I'm about ready to cut it up. It's not worth buying junk. I spent the last few gorgoues days working on thiese s'bags instead of playing with my kid or working around the house and all I have to show for it is dirty hands, bruised knuckles and 3 dead trucks in my driveway. Buy something nice,enjoy life. Next thing you know you'll be takin a dirt nap and have nothing to show. I actually threw Holy water on it today to drive the demons from it. I said as I did it that I would go to church next sunday if it would stop not shutting off. So now it has shut off fine everytime since but is running like crap. We really need that suicide smiley like some other forums have...

im an optomist i would buy it but im in the process of buying a 2000 cclb dually as you know that dont run. i deffinetly would not pay 2800 for it. that is really high

aw come on Kenny, I bought my wifes truck for a couple grand and all it needed was an oil pump. 15k later still running good :D

I second Kenny's thoughts.....buying a decent 6.5 is one thing, buying a basket case is quite another......

15K miles right :D I'd say that if it seems like a good enough deal for you and you can solve the problems then take it. You seem to be the keeper of fatbacks as it is and this one seems to be calling you name. What does the lady say?

Defiantly not for $2800 though...

I keep saying I will never buy another 6.5 and want to go back to a 454 TBI but I cant seem to get away from them

wifey wants a 4x4 as hers is 2wheel, but i have exted cabs. no room, so use to the crew cabs

May as well buy it,its just like land ,they aint making any more of them.if notting else you can part it out.

would'nt give more than a grand and a half though.

If it's rusted and doesn't run it should be $1500 or less. You have to assume it needs a engine $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Seeing service records may help some.

I just gambled and bought a Jeep for $2000. It books for around $5000. The problem is it cant be inspected because the computer wont talk to the state inspection computer. It sat for a year, and the gamble I'm taking (with some advice from an expert) is to run it on a temp tag for a week to get some drive cycles recorded into the computer. So far it runs and drives perfect, nothing wrong with it at all. I'll find out this week if he gamble paid off, or if I'll have to put more into it. Either way, I don't think it will be an insurmountable problem.

I wouldn't give $2800 for that truck though. No way no how.

I keep saying I will never buy another 6.5 and want to go back to a 454 TBI but I cant seem to get away from them
tbi motors are the worst 454s they made imo. you simply cannot get the kind of fuel mileage or longevity out of them, and the heads are crap.wifey wants a 4x4 as hers is 2wheel, but i have exted cabs. no room, so use to the crew cabsI hear that, the one and only thing Idont like about my 97 is that it's not a crewcab. That's why I bought the 82

My local guru has a bunch of 454 1 tons carbureted and gets 14 mpg with almost all of them. never seen a tbi get over ten

Wellp it sold in a matter of hours. Of course I was going to be able to sell my 4x2 to a guy at work with cash in hand for twice what I had in it. damn. ah well I didnt need another project any way :eek:

My local guru has a bunch of 454 1 tons carbureted and gets 14 mpg with almost all of them. never seen a tbi get over ten

Im not to worried about MPGs, my 94 only gets 14. and my wife dosnt drive much so it would be good for her. I had a couple I beat the tar out of before I was married, loved melting off all 4 back tires :D and only buying plugs and wires not injectors, IPs, PMDs, ect. Dont worry I still have 6.5 in my blood for some reason :D

Back