• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

should i change my trans fluid

wes104

Reaction score
i have an 89 gmc r3500 that i believe has around 300000 miles but not sure because of the odometer only shows 5 digits.ive had it about 6 years now havent put alot of miles on it.should i change filter and fluid or leave it?ive read if it hasnt been change in a while and you change it it will ruin the trans.

Best is changing every 30,000 miles. Buying a truck used with 250k on it - finding out if the previous owner did it or not is crucial.
It is always a good idea for a new filter, but it the fluid has not been changed in 100k or more, reuse the old fluid. New fluid has detergent in it that can be the deathnail to the clutches. At a napa near me, they sold a non detergent dextron3 I had good results when topping off, but no one around here sells
It anymore.

At 300,000- the trans isn’t going to last a lot longer no matter what you do. Start shopping/ saving now.

Back