• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Short shaft to long shaft 4l60e

Trucker2k16

Reaction score
Hey fellas im trying to clear up a issue i have.
I have one 1997 c1500 ext cab short bed and one 1996 ext cab long bed well the 4l60e is short bed gave up so took one out the long bed well its long shaft and im doing this for a buddy which has a buddy telling him to swap slip yokes i say either swap output shafts or shorten drive shaft would anyone know if swapping yokes is worth it or just a hack. Ive personally shortened shafts or changed output shafts

The old TH350's also had different tailshaft lengths. My neighbor and I found that out the hard way out one cold December night in his unheated garage swapping out transmissions in his 4 door Impala back in 1980.

Last edited:
The 4l60e only came in one length, it's not like the old th-400. Can you post pics of the differences?
Top pic is the replacement bottom is one in truck and measurement from tail shaft housing flange to end of shaft is 1 3/4 difference 3rd pic shows its a newer 4l60e as the other is a older and has a metal dust cover for torque convertor/flexplate and also the tail shaft housing have different bolt patterns the bad has 4 bolts the replacement has 620211129_164606.jpg20211129_164753.jpg20211129_164618.jpg

In 96 V6's went to the 2 piece case, and by mid year 97 they all had went to the 2 piece case. The 4 vs 6 bolt extension housing was simply a change when they changed cases. ALL 4l60e's from 93+ list the same exact output shaft for 2 wheel drive trucks. You cannot go by the length of the extension housing, you have to check overall length. Guys all the time go from 700r4's, 4l60's, & early 4l60e's to the late 99+ 4l60e doing LS swaps and re-use there stock driveshafts. GM put 1&2 piece case 4l60e's in 96/97 trucks and used the same shafts for both.

If you look at the 96(4 bolt housing), you'll see the trans mount is not on the housing, but on the case, on the 97(6 bolt), you'll see it is on the housing. The newer cases bolt the extension housing on further up, that is why it is longer.

And looking at your picture, the driveshaft is bottomed out in that pic, so I hope it's a 2 piece shaft with it in that deep.

Last edited:
In 96 V6's went to the 2 piece case, and by mid year 97 they all had went to the 2 piece case. The 4 vs 6 bolt extension housing was simply a change when they changed cases. ALL 4l60e's from 93+ list the same exact output shaft for 2 wheel drive trucks. You cannot go by the length of the extension housing, you have to check overall length. Guys all the time go from 700r4's, 4l60's, & early 4l60e's to the late 99+ 4l60e doing LS swaps and re-use there stock driveshafts. GM put 1&2 piece case 4l60e's in 96/97 trucks and used the same shafts for both.

If you look at the 96(4 bolt housing), you'll see the trans mount is not on the housing, but on the case, on the 97(6 bolt), you'll see it is on the housing. The newer cases bolt the extension housing on further up, that is why it is longer.

And looking at your picture, the driveshaft is bottomed out in that pic, so I hope it's a 2 piece shaft with it in that deep.
I see now and nope its a 1 piece i noticed that too.

So will these two work without a issue?

Back