• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shocks? Opinions?

I like the quality of the Rancho product. I know that many manufacturers of truck shock items have 'accordian boot' as ChrisK1500 says. I decided to leave them OFF, as the last set wore out after only 4 years, mostly due to rust and sediment being caught behind the boot and being trapped there, leading to rusting and contamination of the shock. I personally think that the standard, time-tested 'metal cap' method works a LOT better. Not as 'cool' looking, but my plan is to keep the accordian boot OFF, and then just wash off the shock when it dirties up.

Rob :)

I went with Rancho RS5000 shocks.

Not adjustable but the price and quality were right....a google search will provide more information on them...
Just saw this thread now. I have always used RS5000s. Great shock for the money. Haven't done shocks on my two pets I currently own but have owned many monster trucks and always used them. My last GMC had 21 inches of lift and 44s. Ran RS5000s(dual of course).

So couldn't go wrong with a set of RS9000's then.

21 inches of lift... That's nuts :)
That is soooooooooo funny..........
That was the name of the truck. it was called "The Nuts" because people used to say just what you said. it was painted on the rearend cover and bugshield when I got the truck...wow.
It had 3 inch body and Approx 18 inches of suspension. The springs were custom skyjackers and I subchassied the truck. It took 2 years to get the truck to go down the road straight of trial and error before I got the suspension right. I actually had to lower the steering box 6 inches . But back on point I used RS5000s in it and they worked great. I also had a 1977 Ford F-350 that had 15 inch lift and 44s. Again doubled up RS5000s. They worked great. I could be talkin out my a.. but and this is 10 yrs ago..I vaguely remember something about having to "Charge" them when you take them out of the box. In other words fully extend the shock and close it a few times before installing it. Again I'm not sure..it's just sticking out in my head for some reason. when I finally get to shocks in my 95, I will go with RS5000s

Last edited:
That is soooooooooo funny..........
That was the name of the truck. it was called "The Nuts" because people used to say just what you said. it was painted on the rearend cover and bugshield when I got the truck...wow.

LOL, that is funny... Maybe its a New England thing ..

I am loving these shocks!

They were a breeze to install - no fitment issues at all. They have a red rubber accordian boot thing to cover up the shaft. Ride on the highway and gravel roads is 100 times better than the blown out shocks I had on there before.

An added bonus is that these shocks are capable of being used with a 2" lift if I ever feel that I need to lift the truck a little when I get the ATA intercooler hanging. I like the stock height for now.

I would definately go with these shocks again - it didn't hurt that they were on sale at the local parts house either....

put a set on mine yesterday,they are nice,couldnt get the 0-2 for a 2500 so i guess ill stay stock,but i like them

Last edited:
I am loving these shocks!

They were a breeze to install - no fitment issues at all. They have a red rubber accordian boot thing to cover up the shaft. Ride on the highway and gravel roads is 100 times better than the blown out shocks I had on there before.

An added bonus is that these shocks are capable of being used with a 2" lift if I ever feel that I need to lift the truck a little when I get the ATA intercooler hanging. I like the stock height for now.

I would definately go with these shocks again - it didn't hurt that they were on sale at the local parts house either....

They made the sig so they must be good :)

What would the advantage of going with RS9000 be over the 5000's?

Bilsiten HD's on mine. Pretty happy with them, could be a touch softer but they are an HD shock.

For anyone looking to do a lift or adjust torsion bars or anything like this, I'd suggest measuring bolt center to bolt center before ordering. This is a critical measurement to have at the "rest" position. You can give the manufacturer this dimension and they can tell you what you need. I always recommend to call the manufacturer with your application first if you're unfamiliar with the product requirements. Then if you need to order through a dealer, call them and make sure the PN matches.

I have 3" blocks in the rear of mine and have turned the bars up 1" in the front. I have factory recommended Bilsteins as if I had no lift at all. Actually, my first set was ordered specifically for the 3" lift in the rear and after running them a few miles, they went back to the factory. They were too long and were nearly bottomed out when unladen. I got them straight from the factory, as recommended by their "off-road" guy they have. They were very helpful and cooperative.

So If I measure bolt to center and tell them the average weight (8800lbs) and the everyday working weight (9500) They can recommend one just for me?

Matt, that's what I would do if it was me. The reason I mentioned to measure the bolt centers is because I assumed that the lift blocks would cause it to need extended shocks. As it turns out, the OEM size worked best for my application.

Back