• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shocks? Opinions?

chrisk1500

Reaction score
Mods - please leave this thread in this section so it can get some 6.5 coverage.

My shocks on my truck are leaking oil. Time for replacement.

My truck sees about 75% on highway duty (unloaded). The other 25% is heavy pulling at slow speeds (AG related) and bouncing through farm fields.

Recommendations? I was thinking either Bilstein or Monroe Sensatrac.

BTW - truck is stock height and intending on staying there.

Thanks!

Bilsteins are by far the best option but for a budget the ES9000 are a good shock.

We carry both lines so if you need anything please let me know.

Have done a bit of research on this of late. As I will be using mine to carry a slide in camper. IMHO, dont think you could possibly go wrong with the Bilsteins.

chrisk1500 ,hope you dont mind if i post this here,im also needing shocks,93,chevy,
2500hd,ext cab,4x4, mine is stock height but thinking of lifting a inch or so,i have a plow on the front,700#,i hunt and do get off road [not muddin] and haul alot of weight in bed and trailer,does anyone make a shock for these that is for 0 to 2'' lift,not much left of my shocks there original lol

I put the Rancho adjustable shocks on. If you can swing it I think it would be superior solution - they are easily adjustable, and can even be installed with a remote-controlled wireless controller that allows you to dial in the amount of damping on-the-fly. So, if you want to pound pavement, you can dial it up to a high damper rate (cornering, etc.) and if you want something soft for the trail, you can dial it all the way down. There are 9 levels of adjustment.

I got it because I wanted to adjust the ride to suit what mission the truck was on. I have been very very happy with them.

Rob :)

I put the Rancho adjustable shocks on. If you can swing it I think it would be superior solution - they are easily adjustable, and can even be installed with a remote-controlled wireless controller that allows you to dial in the amount of damping on-the-fly. So, if you want to pound pavement, you can dial it up to a high damper rate (cornering, etc.) and if you want something soft for the trail, you can dial it all the way down. There are 9 levels of adjustment.

I got it because I wanted to adjust the ride to suit what mission the truck was on. I have been very very happy with them.

I'm happy with rancho on my truck

I've been wondering the same thing lately, I posted in the suspension place, but nobody wants to talk about shocks there...

We have a defined, collective group here, I don't think we should post anywhere but here...

On my rig, which weighs 9000 always, and 9500-10k the other half the time... I have front plow weighs about 1,000 lbs, so then 95-10,500lbs...

Any recommendations for me for shocks? I never offroad, but want to toss good shocks on....

I also want to know which shocks to use. I have my truck leveled via t/b's cranks and don't think stock replacement would be a good choice.

I used a set of Yellow Bilsteins for awhile and I noticed that I would feel every little thing and after awhile, I got tired of it. Right now I'm on the fence between the Bilstein 5100's and a set of Monroe Reflex shocks.

I used a set of Yellow Bilsteins for awhile and I noticed that I would feel every little thing and after awhile, I got tired of it. Right now I'm on the fence between the Bilstein 5100's and a set of Monroe Reflex shocks.

Kind of what I'm worried about, although my rig is heavy, It's not as heavy as some people's like loggers or dump trucks.... I don't want too stilff

I was also looking at some thingy Nick for Nor cal truck has that go between your springs and the frame in the back, anyone have any input on those?

i've got Gabriel's in the rear, although i can't remember exact what Gabriels they are, i know they were the heaviest duty ones available and i've got Monro-matics in the front. rides not too bad considering its an HD truck suspension.

Kind of what I'm worried about, although my rig is heavy, It's not as heavy as some people's like loggers or dump trucks.... I don't want too stilff

I was also looking at some thingy Nick for Nor cal truck has that go between your springs and the frame in the back, anyone have any input on those?

not sure about your truck but he told me all he had for my 93 was stock,im going to crank my t/b's a little but havnt decided how much,be nice if we could get a 0-2'' lift bilstein shock,or maybe we can,but ive not found them,im thinking of going with the ranchos like a couple of the others suggested

I have them. They're called Sulastic springs and what they do is reduce that "jolt" you get when the rear hits a bump. It made a nice difference in my truck.

There's a thread about them here somewhere...

As mentioned, my Tahoe is NOT stock, so I wondered if I would get a really choppy ride if I went with a heavy-duty shock, or get too waffly (is that a word?) if I get the softer ones. I ended up with the adjustable Ranchos and I highly recommend them. You can change the dampening rate so that this whole worry about 'which damper rate' can go AWAY!

I tweaked the damper rate several times (have to crawl under the truck - I did NOT get the remote adjustment unit), you just go to each corner and turn the little knob. It works very well.

(No, I don't work for Rancho)

I went with Rancho RS5000 shocks.

Not adjustable but the price and quality were right....a google search will provide more information on them...

I am loving these shocks!

They were a breeze to install - no fitment issues at all. They have a red rubber accordian boot thing to cover up the shaft. Ride on the highway and gravel roads is 100 times better than the blown out shocks I had on there before.

An added bonus is that these shocks are capable of being used with a 2" lift if I ever feel that I need to lift the truck a little when I get the ATA intercooler hanging. I like the stock height for now.

I would definately go with these shocks again - it didn't hurt that they were on sale at the local parts house either....

Back