• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shock Suggestions?

Cougar281

Huh?
Reaction score
My shocks are shot, so I'm looking into options. I know of Bilstiens, Ranchos, and a few different Monroes (Reflex, SensaTrac, MonroMatic Plus, Gas Magnum). Primarily, Just a DD, with occasional towing and drag racing. Sled pulling may or may not be somewhere in the future. I've heard the Bilstiens are not really good if your going to drag race, so that kinda eliminates them. How would Monroes work for my use? The Rancho 9000's look neat, but at twice the price. I can get both Rancho and Monroes locally, and both have lifetime warranties. I could do all four if I where to get either Monroes or Rancho 5000's. If the 9000's are really that much better, I could do two right now. IF I where to go with the 9000's and only did two for now, which would be the most important ones to replace first; Front or rear?

Thoughts?

Thanks

I run the Monroe Reflex shock. Nice shock that's a little firmer than OEM. Very nice ride. But....If you're even thinking of cranking the t-bars, I would pass. The shock itself is about 1/2 inch shorter that the OEM. My truck isn't cranked and I plow with it so it really didn't have an effect on my situation. Overall, I'm happy.

In comparison to the Bilstein Yellows that I had, I like the Monroes a lot better. The Bils were a great shock for cornering, but gave the front end a "jittery" feel. You felt alot of the little bumps and it made the front end noisy. It also made the ISS shaft issue more noticeable.

I have Edelbrock IAS on my 97' and Monroes on my 03' both are just awesome. For daily driving the Edelbrocks give a nice ride and its smooth in the corners. For occasional towing/hauling the Monroes work great. Hope this helps.

Monroe's

If you want a smooth ride get the Monroe Gas-matic plus at 25.00 each;:D If you like a firm and controlled ride get the Bilsteins for 3 times more.
I have tried both and went with Monroe's.
The Monroe Reflex shocks are a good go between firm and smooth shock.

Well, after thinking about it and reading reviews out in the internet, plus here, DD and DP, I ordered a full set of the RS9000XL's. Really shouldn't have ordered them all, but they're offering the "MyRide Wireless Remote Control System" for free with the purchse of a set of 4 (Retails for $259 @ Summit), and unfortunately, all four have to be on one invoice. We'll see how they go. Anything's gotta be better than 136k stockers :).

136k stockers? My goodness.

I changed a set off a friends truck back before I moved and he only had 35k on it. None of his shocks decompressed after you compressed them. None of them. It was amazing to me to see just how worn out they were already.

136k stockers? My goodness.

I changed a set off a friends truck back before I moved and he only had 35k on it. None of his shocks decompressed after you compressed them. None of them. It was amazing to me to see just how worn out they were already.

Yeah, I should've replaced them like 100k ago...:eek:

How're you liking the PPE?

So far so good. Its not rattley at all and I expected that. It feels very much like Hypertech with a very defined throttle position to where it makes power and then, and only then can you hear the timing advance. Its got some lag to it, a bit more than some other tunes that I've run. To make full power, you'll need like a full 2 seconds before you go anywhere. It smokes a bit too. More than any other tune I've run. I've really only gotten on it twice do far and it shits and gets for sure on the 225 tune. Its got good driveability though and is very smooth. I cant tell if my mileage changed at all. I dont think it did then again, I'd like to run a full tank of highway miles to be sure.

Cool... You have a Transgo Jr, or bone stock? If you have a Jr, you're probably right on the edge, if not a bit over it :).

So far so good. Its not rattley at all and I expected that. It feels very much like Hypertech with a very defined throttle position to where it makes power and then, and only then can you hear the timing advance. Its got some lag to it, a bit more than some other tunes that I've run. To make full power, you'll need like a full 2 seconds before you go anywhere. It smokes a bit too. More than any other tune I've run. I've really only gotten on it twice do far and it shits and gets for sure on the 225 tune. Its got good driveability though and is very smooth. I cant tell if my mileage changed at all. I dont think it did then again, I'd like to run a full tank of highway miles to be sure.

I find the 9000's can be too hard to too soft on some applications so you might be ok.

Reflex and 5000's are almost identical so you can't lose there.

Magnums are a bit looser than the above but still a good shock.

Sensacrap, don't even bother.

Monroe plus, might was well not even bother putting shocks in, ):h

Cougar281, read your other thread. That was a pretty good deal and please let us know what you think about the ride from what you had before:thumbsup:

Got them in last night; truck seems less bouncy. We'll see how it goes; Will be neat when I get the "MyRide" controller.

I was amazed that the rear OE's still had pressure in them.

Stupid question though; How can the front shocks do anything when the control arms are resting on the bump stops?

If you are talking about the compression bump stop, that is how GM designed the suspension. If you are talking about the drop stop as in you have cranked the front end up that is not right and the main reason everyone looses there ride when over cranking the front end. But I am sure you are talking compression.

Yeah, I'd say it's the compression stop; I've never touched my T-Bars, although the drivers side of the truck seems to ride a smidge lower than the passenger side...

If you are talking about the compression bump stop, that is how GM designed the suspension. If you are talking about the drop stop as in you have cranked the front end up that is not right and the main reason everyone looses there ride when over cranking the front end. But I am sure you are talking compression.

You could put a couple turns into the torsion bar adjuster and it can help the ride. Not alot but a little more space to move can go a long way.

Back