• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shifting problems

Allen Goretski

Reaction score
So I have a 2000 k3500 Chevy Silverado it has a 6.5 in it and has 250,000 miles on it. Recently I have been having a lot of problems driving on the highway it seems like when ever I get up to 65 mph the rpms want to jump up to over 2,500. And it smokes like crazy. Is there any way I can get it to shift normal.

It accelerates good until I get to 65 then rpms jump up. It down shifts for some reason and does not stay in overdrive. And no codes.

Sounds like it is dropping out of overdrive for some reason. I would guess transmission issue, however, enough misfires from engine problems will also limp the system and command lower gears to reduce 'lugging' an ailing engine. As said above read the codes with a scanner. The SES light is all about "Emissions" and "ENGINE" so you won't see the light come on for "transmission" failures although it will store a code.

Back