• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shifting gears

DIRTY1904

Reaction score
I have a 92 4x4 burban with 192000 miles the tranny wont shift out of 1st gear till about 3000 rpms and gpes into 3rd or nutural can't manually shift either. Is there an easy fix or should i just replace tranny? 4l80e

Pull codes. Generally there will be no SES light for transmission problems.

Trans fluid level and color?

A diesel may require an adjustment of the TPS.

Electrical connectors full of oil and speed sensor wires having the insulation fall off (shorting out) are also possible problems.

Tranny was drained and new filter installed, the electrcal is not looking great. I also npticed that were the harness plugs into the tranny that is loosr and yes there is oil all over the wires. Thanks warwagon

Stuck in 3rd is odd. The trans has a 2nd gear ‘limp mode’ that is the normal default when something goes wrong. Are you sure it is 3rd not 2nd?

Wires pinched by trans pan is a common cause after a filter change. Did problems start after or before filter change?
Not being able to manually shift doesn’t fit limp mode however. Tps wouldn’t limit manual shifting either.

Codes....

Do NOT just get rid of trans until new one is in and working because of year changes

Stuck in 3rd is odd. The trans has a 2nd gear ‘limp mode’ that is the normal default when something goes wrong. Are you sure it is 3rd not 2nd?

Wires pinched by trans pan is a common cause after a filter change. Did problems start after or before filter change?
Not being able to manually shift doesn’t fit limp mode however. Tps wouldn’t limit manual shifting either.

Codes....

Do NOT just get rid of trans until new one is in and working because of year changes
As soon as it stops raining i will get under her and check wires and i will dive down the street to see if its 2nd gear. The problems started after filter change but it was I'd say a good couple of weeks after. No check engine lights. What i did notice tho is the the tranny mount on the cross member is worn out and loose.

Now that i think about it , when it started i played with gear shifter and actually came to a stop. My speedometer was bouncing all over the place rpm gauge went dead then once i got going it all worked once i left the place i stopped at 20min later it did same thing and has stayed that way

Back