• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

shake/shutter

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
Not sure if it's comming from my trans or other parts of the drivetrain. I have a shake/shutter when my truck shifts....it happens in every gear wether I'm on the throttle hard or not. I noticed it first when I put the stock programming back in. It seemed to shift extra hard. Now it shakes/shudders with the tune on 65hp too. It seems worse when less power is applied to the rear wheels. It seems to have progressively gotten worse in the last 3 weeks and it's making me nervous. Any ideas? I may be slow to respond because I don't have internet at my new house yet. Thanks for any help at all. Trans fluid looks good and was changed at 75,000 to Amsoil Torque drive. Truck has just over 100,000 now.

No one? Could it be u-joints? I've checked them after a 20 minute trip and they weren't hot....could it be them anyway?

Not sure if its the same thing that i've felt before, which is more of a clunk, but have you every greased the splines on the driveshaft where it enters the transfercase output?
I do mine every oil change now and never have a problem.

Is your tranny stock? That was one of the signs of mine going south. The TC starts to shudder.

Yes it's stock. So is it really just the TC that's bad? I've slipped mine on the 100 hp tune before so I turned it down right away to the 65 and haven't had any problems even when towing a heavy load.

Not sure if its the same thing that i've felt before, which is more of a clunk, but have you every greased the splines on the driveshaft where it enters the transfercase output?
I do mine every oil change now and never have a problem.

I've read about that but it doesn't really match the description. I'll grease it when I get some time.

over 100k running a programmer...sorry but you are on borrowed time, much more than I had. When you say slipped do you mean limped? After the first limp it gets easier each time to limp it. You may be able to turn it down another level and have it live a lil longer but mine started getting hot fast all of a sudden in the middle of a camping trip. Keep a couple extra filters with you, when the TC starts to lose the clutch the paper plugs the filter and the cooler lines. I melted the sensors and discolored the tc but I made it home.
If you haven't already, start saving your change now.....It won't be long....

Edit: the splines only do that on take off and stopping. the TC does it after every shift, it is having a hard time grabbing, good luck.

over 100k running a programmer...sorry but you are on borrowed time, much more than I had. When you say slipped do you mean limped? After the first limp it gets easier each time to limp it. You may be able to turn it down another level and have it live a lil longer but mine started getting hot fast all of a sudden in the middle of a camping trip. Keep a couple extra filters with you, when the TC starts to lose the clutch the paper plugs the filter and the cooler lines. I melted the sensors and discolored the tc but I made it home.
If you haven't already, start saving your change now.....It won't be long....

Edit: the splines only do that on take off and stopping. the TC does it after every shift, it is having a hard time grabbing, good luck.

It's not on just the shifts. Sometimes when I put the truck in gear there is a pause before it engages and then it shifts kind of hard into gear.

Another point...if it was the trans acting up then why would it seem to do it worse with no programmer on it at all? I haven't limped it since I had it on 100. When it limped on 100 it would downshift into 3rd, I put the truck in neutral and back into drive and it was fine again. I didn't have any codes/lights come on nor did I have to turn the truck off to get it to shift right like others have had to do. There are plenty of guys running tuners above 100k. I'm not convinced it's the trans yet.

On the other hand I just changed the spin on filter to the trans and the magnet on the filter had a thin layer of metallic sludge on it.

One more thing, when I went to the Allison dealer near me to pick op the spin on filter the guy gave me a free complete set of Rabestos performance clutch packs for my tranny. He said the Rabestos rep stopped in and gave them to him but he can't sell them or charge to put them in because they are OEM Allison only. Made my day though...can't wait to put them in some day!

Was doing some searching on dp...found a post by a member that replied this to someone with similar sounding issues. -

"your TCM is letting you know that its having a hard time controling clutch packs from slipping so its raised the line pressure to clap the packs harder . Running any tune over 100 hp added on a stock trans will long term cost you about $ 4000 in trans work ."

Sound possible? Seems weird to me that it wouldn't limp first. I've been running mine on the 65 setting for a long time with no issues.

Changed the spin-on trans filter, helped a little bit. The next day I checked the air filter....absolutely awful! I beat it on the gound and a bunch of junk/bugs came out. Sinse that my truck hasn't shifted hard sinse. Read about someone on dp who had done the same with the same result. I can't belive an air filter would cause such hard shifts. I also can't believe I let it get so dirty. Shame on me. :nono:

Yeah I saved the filter to cut it open later when I get a chance. And also it was a cheap knock off brand...probably from China. I couldn't get a cheap spin on anywhere. I think the dealer wanted $40 so I said screw that. Glad I recently found an Allison place close by...they sold me one for $8.

Since it's been over 25k miles and with the history you gave Jared, you might think about changing the fluid and filter again soon. Best would be the Hoot method but the plain 8 qt drain and refill wouldn't hurt...
BTW, the gray crap on the magnet is normal.

Well I finally cut the filter open with a hacksaw. There's nothing in there except the shavings from where I cut the can open. I guess that's a good sign.

Back