• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

setup for 26,000gcvw on a 6.5

shoot, RTO6613! need to find one for one of our 3208 cat turbo two ton trucks.

but really, a ZF6 from a duramax would be pretty cool also.

but as long as he doesnt get mean on it, the superiority of GM engineering in the 4L80E will hold its own.

hughes and coan transmission are what i found to be the big 4l80 builders.. new tranny isnt going to happen anytime soon.
FSO6406 which is about 350lb
found conversion thread on CF swaping out a nv5600 for a FSO6406 or 8406

done well basicly its starts and moves on its own now. tranny is in limp mode 2nd/reverse
tach, speedo, OP, ECT need connected got a P2510 code.. out side disabling EGR, VATS i havent touched the stock van tune.. drove the truck to retrive my trailer (8 miles away) i will say that running in 2nd gear the truck moves 10x better then the 6.5 did in 1st with just a 6400lb trailler hooked to the back. the 99 is currently loaded up on the trailer hooked to my 75 headed to the dealer first thing to correct the TCM issue( its brand spanking new, original got compacted by a telephone pole) then go weigh it since pilot scale is just down the road. the custom engine mounts definently transfers more noise and vibration to the frame. im expecting it to with in 150lb of the old weight of 4000/2400

i will post video some time tomorrow..

I take it you didn't use bushings in your engine mounts? (oh well, it's a work truck)

Looking forward to seeing how well she hauls for you. Keep us posted.

With 98k on the dmax it's just now getting broken in.

I take it you didn't use bushings in your engine mounts? (oh well, it's a work truck)

Looking forward to seeing how well she hauls for you. Keep us posted.

With 98k on the dmax it's just now getting broken in.

there are bushing on the engine mounts... used leaf spring eye bushings alot stiffer then engine mounts.

got the tcm tuned working on optimizing the part throttle shift points and TCC engagment speeds.. towed my brother 12klb JLG man lift home.. move much easier.. aux tranny cooling fan did kick on.. took it 3 minutes at idle to cool then trans fuild down below 180* moving 25k with out the TCC locked in.. probaly the reason..
i think the oem convertor is little on the loose side.. stalled 1600rpm with the 6.5 closer to 2000rpm now.
then 06 VAN tcm shift firmness is better then the 6.5 stock shift firmness. got rid of the go into N crap when you let of the trottle.. still working on hooking up the speedo tach(wrong alt) OP and ECT which are all now stand alone.

did a 1000 mile trip yesterday.. from springfield ohio to richmond VA with the truck and trailer and my brother went to pick up a CCLB 2500 dodge frame. our worse milage was 10.5 and best was 13 avg 70mph. with just added timeing and driveabilty stuff done to then tune. 5% i can run 70+ up empty with the dmax 6.5 55 in 3rd.. 7% grade is 63mph holding 4th.. brother was driving when we hit the 7% on I64 in VA, he said i think something when wrong i cant accel! i told him its a 7% grade.. the big trucks are having hard time doing 30mph and with 250hp im pleased its doing that!
only picture i snaped was this thought it was pretty cool. kinda surpprised that there wasnt that much trublant air between then truck and trailer..
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/538217_3822477634020_43057319_n.jpg

second load with new engine. first was 3200lb of casting rock from cinci to franklin tn.
this one was 12,200 from athens to rushville in with a stop eminece ky
mpg is up 30-35%, grade speed is almost double the 6.5 30mph(2nd gear) vs 55mph(3rd gear), avg speed is up from 50mph to 65mph to, both running the gm 4l80 still running stock 250hp power level adjusted the driveablilty part of the tune with efi live.

1100mile trip an i have used ~80 gallons havent filled up since i got home. works out to about 13mpg vs the 9 i was avg with the 6.5
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/209006_3831294174428_630437522_n.jpg

i ran I75 to I64 , to I65 the guage never moved off 190* only time i heard the fan come on is after sitting for a while and everything getting heat soaked or after i shut it off and start up.

the aux fan on the tranny cooler has come on a couple times mainly stop n go.. usually shuts off when idleing and you walk in to a gas staiton for drink/piss and come back out.

another thing i have notice is.. im taking cunks out of the drives... nocticed when i was climbing grades GPS would read 50pmh and the speedo would say 53 flat ground its dead on. gues i need more wieght on the drives..

What I think is happening on the hills is the GPS is linear, it doesn't compensate for the rise. Using it to map out acres on the farm it comes up short on the hilly fields.

What I think is happening on the hills is the GPS is linear, it doesn't compensate for the rise. Using it to map out acres on the farm it comes up short on the hilly fields.

its matched with the 6.5 on the hills... now quick accel/decell its has a hard time keeping up

had an issue of lacke of suffiecnt brake monday on long island. though i was able to keep form lettign a big truck(full size day cab car hauler) drag his trailer over the front of my truck i was even with his trailer tires, though i wasnt able to keep from rear ending him. and only my trailer tires barely left marks. the prodigy P2 work on the tow vehicles decell rate. rolling less then 9 tons everything should have locked up! before this happen i have bleeded the entire brake systems runing 1qt of new fluid through both front and rear systems each. i had boiled the brake fluid in stop in go traffic friday. brake fluid was black when i checked it, it is now clear.

from what i have found the front and rear are identical size wise rotor dia and caliber...
front runs strictly 5 hole vs rears 10 hole.
MC bore is 1.25" and disc/disc setup running 1/2-20 primary and 9/16-18 secondary. IDk why the front is bigger.. my 02 had a 37mm (1.44") bore 1/2-20 on both systems.. also the wrecker system runs dual 2.6" piston vs the single 3.5?" that the non wrecker has.
the idea is use the GMT800 MC which will reduce brake application time and increase hyd pressurre on the caliber pistons. upgrade to then dual piston which will increace additonal force on to the pads.
before some of you start yelling that im messing up read the following. read the insert that i typed up while back on a malibu forum aat the end of the post.
i have done similar swap/upgrdae on my 75 K20. first up graded to hydro boost. then i went from a hydro 1 1/8" bore MC to a 1 5/16" MC pedal travel was cut roughly in half from ~1" to 1/2" to apply the brakes. and much more brakeing force with less effort on me.
i have a hard time beliveing that there is a disc.drum MC on my truck right now.
im looking more to mechanics of it.. speed of the brakes applieing and hyd forcce one can create.
if we remove hyd/vac booster(which adds addition applied force to MC piston) and say an avg man can apply 600lb of force on the MC piston and an avg stroke of the piston is 0.75" and to simplifiy things for debating purpose its a single piston MC so volume is stroke (.75")x bore= in3
so the formula for HYD force is piston area x force applied to piston. IE 10LB applied to 1sqin =10psi.
knowing that with the mechanical force and oem brake pedal and avg person can apply 600lb of force to the MC pushrod. i will keep that as a constant. and the max stroke distance of .75" constant as well though it would on refer to speed at which the brakes can be applied in realtion to the brake pedal moving.

i am leaving out HYD/VAC booster since both very drasticly based on engine vaccum/power steering pump pressure setting. all they do is supply addition regulated force to what ever your foot is appling to the MC thus allowing the operator to have to push less harder on the pedal to reach suffiecent pressure to slow the vehicle. it is much simpler to discuse a basic manual system and would like your opinion on HYD pressure one can create at the MC.

a 7/8" bore has 2.74sqin 600lb will generate 1644psi of HYD force
a 24mm bore has 2.96sqin 600lb will generate 1776psi of hyd force.
a 1 1/16 bore has 3.33sqin 600lb will generate 2000psi of hyd force.
a 36mm bore has 4.45sqin 600lb will generate 2600psi of hyd force.

like your thumb tac example i am only talking about the part you press your thumb on. i know fo fact that the rear wheel cylinders are .75" bores which is 2.35sqin this would be pin part of the tac. with the smallest bore info i posted this wheel cylinder wouldl generate 3863lb of mechanical force against the rear brake shoes. this results in the MC having to travel 85% of the distance the wheel cylinder has to travel before making contact with the drum. this transelate into long brake pedal travel.

pedal feel and travel. a smaller MC piston will be easier to push then a larger piston the downside to smaller driving piston is it have to travel farther to net same travel results from the wheel cylinder then a larger driving piston.
the weird thing is the smaller MC the operator will actually be pushing harder on the smaller driving psiton to get sufficent force to stoping force at the brakes then the larger MC.

heres an example keeping the same 3/4" dia wheel cylinder lets hypotheticly say 3800lb of mech force locks up the rear tires and 3500lb is considered a hard stop. from 2 pharagraph up we already know if an operator has a 7/8 bore MC he is goign to need appliy 541lb of force on the MC via the brake pedal with the MC traveling 85% of hte distance the wheel cylinder has to travel.
if the operator has a 1 1/16 bore the operator will only have to apply 447lb to the MC via brake pedal. this MC only has to travel 70% of the distance the wheel cylinder has to travel.

with that said it would be evident to say the bigger MC allows for quicker application of the brakes and with less pressure applied via the operator to reach the hard braking threshold.

with those examples its clear to say a bigger MC will increase braking capability if everything else remains constant in the HYD brake system...

now the booster reduce the amount of force the operator has to put to the MC via the brake pedal.
a 7" diapharm with 15inhg applied to it will generate max of 1271psi of regualted force on the MC thus drasticly reducing the amount force the operator has to applie via the brake pedal.
a HYD boost is much more the power steering pump is set between 900-1000psi at the pressure releif valve operating is about 850psi with a 1 1/4 bore in the booster with a max applied pressure of 3336psi of regulated force that can be applied to the MC on top of what the operator applies.

well some 15,000 miles later probably should update....
got dual piston calibers on the back with new mc 40mm stock on the back. BIG DIFFERENCE
ripped the flexplate into 3 peices and busted up then pilot bushing for the TC
lost a dust cap on a hub on the trailer killed the outer bearing.. caught intime to safe the hub.. put new seals races bearings and dust cap and alls good..
had a ~200A short grounded/melted all my 10ga grounds the arc'd to the engine from the frame and put holes in both the fuel supply line and tranny hot line didnt even kill the engine! which suprised me invertor had a low voltage warning and a faint smell of electrical fire. stopped the truck got out found fuel pooring down the driver side and tranny pooring out the pass side. blessed the truck didnt go up in smoke.. happy to report that last week i had no mechanical break downs.
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/531322_4013949860706_1657729267_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/378350_4013952300767_864947151_n.jpg

Back