• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Setting tps on 93 6.5 diesel

A GM1 has a spring can wastegate. You open the wastegate and boost falls off. So the GM4 without the wastegate wired shut has lost boost. No boost means smoke and you hit a brick wall of No Power. If the GM1 wastegate froze up stuck shut you get all kinds of boost and likely why you had to so major engine work.

I humbly suggest you get the proper wastegate control on the GM4 turbo. http://leroydiesel.com/product-category/turbo/

In depth on turbos and the difference they make on this engine. Other turbo's have come on the scene since I wrote this:

Gmx is a generic term for the entire series of turbos the factories used on the 6.5
So what IS the best turbo for this truck
A GM1 has a spring can wastegate. You open the wastegate and boost falls off. So the GM4 without the wastegate wired shut has lost boost. No boost means smoke and you hit a brick wall of No Power. If the GM1 wastegate froze up stuck shut you get all kinds of boost and likely why you had to so major engine work.

I humbly suggest you get the proper wastegate control on the GM4 turbo. http://leroydiesel.com/product-category/turbo/

In depth on turbos and the difference they make on this engine. Other turbo's have come on the scene since I wrote this:

Ok,so can you please tell me which direction is closed? Installed,it can point to f.o.v or down...the actuator arm of the gate itself.

So what IS the best turbo for this truck

Ok,so can you please tell me which direction is closed? Installed,it can point to f.o.v or down...the actuator arm of the gate itself.
Really hate to seem a dumbass, I was raised on a dairy farm in texas but all we had we're non-aspirated 7.3 internationals. Still have an 84 ordered with the 7.3 instead of the 6.9 with 987,623miles and still runs like a champ.

Since GM4 is a vacuum actuated turbo and a 93 does not have any vacuum pump, you need to replace the wastegate with a mechanical wastegate.

The mechanical wastegate is hold by a spring.
So, the wastegate will close up to a release temperature.

The mechanical wastegate is also known as TurboMaster, originally crafted by Heath Diesel but now available through other seller like Leroy Diesel. Leroy call it Turbo Spool Stick.

Basically, the spring in this vendor bought has been customized to work properly to hold the turbo up to a max psi.
The spring is also adjustable to get more max psi, if necessary.
For stock engine, the max should not be more than 10 psi some say up to 12 psi but that is cutting it close.
More pressure may cause premature failure on headgasket, etc.

What is the "right" or "best" turbo is more a function of how you are/will be using the vehicle it's going in. People on here have had very successful results going away from the GMx series of turbos and using the ATT, CKO Holset 40ii, VGT Holset off of a Cummins, and Borg-Warner 200 or 300 series turbos. Custom tuning (94+ years) or turning up the IP (93 and earlier) is often needed to light the turbo off at the rpm range desired to achieve boost as well as a change in torque converter to increase engine rpms to light off the turbo in some applications. There are literally at least a dozen threads on here dealing with various non-stock turbo installs, including just putting a Wicked Wheel 2 into a stock GMx.

Back