• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ses light comes on at 70mph

Ball 6.5

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 the never had light come on b4 I was on the interstate got up to 75mph then the ses light came on checked everything started it up got up to 75 again came back on I think it hiccuped 1 time would a donut gasket cause this

Mine does the same thing if I try and go about that speed for a few minutes. SES light comes on. Every time I check the code it comes up something like ip pulse width to long and sometimes sets a cam reference code. That’s the only time my truck sets codes

Mine does the same thing if I try and go about that speed for a few minutes. SES light comes on. Every time I check the code it comes up something like ip pulse width to long and sometimes sets a cam reference code. That’s the only time my truck sets codes

Mine is a harbor freight scanner able to see live data.

What year is your truck?

Another thing that can cause SES at 70MPH is a vacuum pump, vacuum line, or waste gate solenoid problem. My truck did this when the vacuum pump went out.... at 70MPH there was not enough vacuum to hold the waste gate, so the under boosted condition would set the code.

Another thing that can cause SES at 70MPH is a vacuum pump, vacuum line, or waste gate solenoid problem. My truck did this when the vacuum pump went out.... at 70MPH there was not enough vacuum to hold the waste gate, so the under boosted condition would set the code.
Yep, I got the light at 70 while towing a small trailer, and a code 78 iirc. Ended up being a waste gate solenoid.

Just FYI, the 6.5L diesel spans from OBD-I (94-95) to OBD-II (96+).

Please indicate the model year?

For 94-95, all you need is a paper clip to read the code and counting the light blinking.
For 96+, you need a code reader. Any code reader should be able to read it.

Back