• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

service 4wd, not the dash switch...

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
In-laws 2000 GMC 2500LD 165k miles. The service 4wd light randomly comes on, replaced the dash switch and it didn't fix the problem. 4wd does work, hi and lo and auto. Where do I go from here? The dealership in his town said that there wouldn't be any codes for the tech 2 to read. I'm kinda doubting that, apparently the guy didn't even want to connect the tech 2. I thought that's the whole idea of the indicator lights and scan tools. Do I need him to go to another place with a tech 2???

thanks

Believe it or not I just had the same thing happen to me last night, I have only use the 4wd 1 or 2 times and last night I was playing around with the switch and when I hit the button to put it in 4wd I got the Service 4WD message. I'm willing to bet this warning comes on when you hit a certain number of miles and theres some way to reset it until you hit the magic number again which turns on the warning again.

Definitely not a mileage issue Keystone. The light comes on when something doesn't pass a test initiated by the corresponding module.

There will definitely be a code to be seen by a Tech II. Take it somewhere where the competency seems higher I guess...

I'll see about getting the truck plugged into a tech 2. In the meantime I've been doing some more googling. Sounds like if it's not the switch in the dash the next common part is the T-case encoder motor. what do you guys think?? I'm not going to have him throw parts at it, just trying to anticipate the fix.

thanks

Definitely not a mileage issue Keystone. The light comes on when something doesn't pass a test initiated by the corresponding module.

There will definitely be a code to be seen by a Tech II. Take it somewhere where the competency seems higher I guess...

Well I just got a chance to get my ride into the dealer and it turns out that it was the Front Axle Actuator Switch that went south they replaced it under warranty and it is now working A-OK

Back