• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

seized front driveshaft

bk95td

6.5 nut job/addict
Reaction score
I'm putting the finishing touches on my 93 k2500 project truck.The front driveshaft is seized in the spline and stub. I put it in the vice and heated with a propane torch and beat on it with a 4lb hammer. It won't budge.:mad2: Ok, no problem, I have another shaft from a junked truck that is the same. Same story. Stuck as hell and won't move.:mad2::mad2: I don't want to go crazy heating it because it will melt the nylon seal. Any suggestions or helpful hints?:confused:
Who would think these would seize when they get soaked in oil at every oil change. Thanks in advance, Barry

The part of the driveshaft between the transfercase and front differential where it telescopes in and out.I'll get pics.I tried pulling it apart with the 8 ton jack from my engine hoist. NO GO. I also found another driveshaft in my parts pile that was the same. It's stuck too. That's 3 of them now. I'm concerned about it pulling against the engine mounts and the bearings in the transfercase. I had one seize on my 81 k10 and it cracked the transmission. They should slide easily by hand.

Not quite sure what you mean Barry. Can you post a pic?

Mike, I believe the area circled is where the problem is.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FrontDriveshaft-1.jpg
    FrontDriveshaft-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 72
I'm putting the finishing touches on my 93 k2500 project truck.The front driveshaft is seized in the spline and stub. I put it in the vice and heated with a propane torch and beat on it with a 4lb hammer. It won't budge.:mad2: Ok, no problem, I have another shaft from a junked truck that is the same. Same story. Stuck as hell and won't move.:mad2::mad2: I don't want to go crazy heating it because it will melt the nylon seal. Any suggestions or helpful hints?:confused:
Who would think these would seize when they get soaked in oil at every oil change. Thanks in advance, Barry

Fill it with something like WD -40 for a while and then try it again. When I was working at a construction company they used some Caterpillar anti seize and that snot was incredible. I got a can of it when I left and it keeps stuff from galling up all the time. Good luck in getting it apart

The part of the driveshaft between the transfercase and front differential where it telescopes in and out.I'll get pics.I tried pulling it apart with the 8 ton jack from my engine hoist. NO GO. I also found another driveshaft in my parts pile that was the same. It's stuck too. That's 3 of them now. I'm concerned about it pulling against the engine mounts and the bearings in the transfercase. I had one seize on my 81 k10 and it cracked the transmission. They should slide easily by hand.

I had the same thing happen to one of my trucks long ago. It is either rust or old grease holding it in. I would try standing it up and hit it with PB Blaster then go back at it with the torch. You will most likely have to replace the seal when your done. Keep us posted......

Got some pics. The last one is when I had one of them chained to the 8 ton engine hoist jack with no results.

Attachments

• IMG_0374_1.JPG
    IMG_0374_1.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0375_2.JPG
    IMG_0375_2.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0376_3.JPG
    IMG_0376_3.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 17
I thought you had to undo the "nut" that holds the seal in to get it apart. It should still slide though.

the splined part is factory encased with teflon or plasic for shock adsorbing,it could be disintegrating and coming loose inside,coupled to worn splines in the tube will jam it in the end ,altough there could be rust involved as well. Heaating it up with the torch was the worst thing to doo as the teflon coat gets rock hard after that.
The ring nut on the tube is treaded or pressed on,turn it or knock it back with a piece of flat bar.

Maybe hook one end in a big ass vise and put a slide hammer to the other end after it's soaking in solvent for a few hours.

I already tried 8 tons of force and hitting with 4lb hammer at the same time. The only option I see left it to heat the hell out of it with 8 tons of pull. The plastic seal will just be a casulity.

The seal is just a rubber dust ring,its held in by the ring nut,it aint keeping the shaft from moving
IMO You'r better of to get an other shaft,or weld another slip joint on the tube.
I have fixed tons of these drive shafts,when they're that tight like yours they are usually shot by the time you get them apart,as i said in my first post the splines on the shaft have a teflon coating.

Probaly not any teflon left if it's siezed.
Here is what happens,water and dirt seeps in along the seal,rust lift the teflon and creeps between,forcing the shaft tight in the tube grooves,build up of rust in the groove part not used in front of the splines on the shaft seizes it solid. Pullin it apart causes the loose teflon to stay behind the rust, crumpling up and getting more tight as you go.Working the shaft in and out a bit at the time and using lots of W-40 with the ringnut removed and wacking the tube with a hammer might work.Some shafts may not have teflon coating,but could be equally hard to get out.

I figured I had nothing to loose today so I heated it red hot with 8 tons of pressure against it and was whacking it with the 4lb hammer. No go. Had it soaking overnight with pb blaster through the vent on the u-joint end. Looking like it's headed to the scrap bin at this point.

Back when I had my IFS still in I had the same issue, I had to losen the front diff to get the shaft out. I did an exchange with the driveline shop instead of fin with it

I have a new plan. I'm taking the u-joint off and going to tap threads into the vent hole. Put a grease zirk on it and try pushing it out with grease pressure. I have 2 more of these driveshafts that are stuck.I had the opposite problem with the 70s and 80s front shafts. the spline would wear out on those from all the movement.

Back