• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Second CDR Valve in 12 months

89SWB

Recruit
Reaction score
I've developed a bad oil leak, seems to be coming from the driver's side valve cover gasket. Fabbed up a manometer and found the crankcase was under pressure at idle (pushed about 3/4" water in the tube), went back to "neutral" when I revved it to 1500 rpm. Was leaking at that point, so makes sense the pressure would equalize.

I had replaced the CDR about a year ago, only put 1000 miles or so since then. Is there anything that can lead to these parts blowing out early? Truck runs great (aside from the leak), no codes or anything. Want to get this fixed before going through the fun of pulling of the intake manifold and injector lines, plus these parts have shot up in price since last year, $45 twelve months ago to $60.

i had a bad oil leak from a valve cover too. one of the bolts on said valve cover(passenger side) was about 4 turns loose. in my case i tightened it up and it went away. i believe the valve covers don't have gaskets but are RTV'ed on from the factory. not too sure about that however.

Great idea to check the bolts - wouldn't that be great if its that easy to fix!

Back to the CDR - anyone know what casuses these units to fail?

You may want to check the exact date to see if it is still warranted. Most part have 12 month warranty.

By the way, Rockauto have it for about $37. I just found them yesterday under emission > Breather Element. It is an ACDelco brand.

I tossed the receipt, think it did come with a warranty. You can bet THAT won't happen again!

Murphy's law. If you have the medicine, you never got sick. The moment it expires, you get sick. Go figure.

I have a 3 ring binder one for each car. All the part receipt goes in there in a clear cover. Just an organization lesson. Don't ask me how I learn that.

Picked it up at the local NAPA this morning. $42 including tax. Asked if there was a warranty, fella said it was the first time he had ever been asked that for any part. I'll hold onto the receipt just in case this one burns out as well.

Waiting for the Permatex Ultra-Black to setup before firing up the beast to check for leaks. Taking off those fuel lines is such a great time! Had to unhook all eight from the pump to get the line leading to #5 out. Had no other plans this morning, so it kept me out of trouble!

CDR can almost never fails, and then usually from rust - it's function is to seal off the crankcase vent if turbo inlet vacuum exceeds 6"H2O, like from a plugged air filter or other obstruction - if your engine is pushing water in the manometer, that is excessive blowby, or possibly the precipitation screen in the valve-cover is totally plugged, or both, if the engine is tired - only way to actually test the CDR valve itself is with a vacuum cleaner, and if you cannot maintain precise control during the testing, the test will also permanently damage the CDR valve, resulting in excess oil being drawn thru the valve-cover at higher Boost levels

(Wish I could be there when you approach the significant other about using the vacuum cleaner on your dirty Diesel engine......................)

(Wish I could be there when you approach the significant other about using the vacuum cleaner on your dirty Diesel engine......................)

:biggrinjester: Yeah, pretty sure she wouldn't go for that. With the miles on this truck, I'm wondering if I jumped the gun by purchasing a new CDR and just not a victim of blowby. 247,000 or so.

Also, screwed up the Permatex valve gasket, so got to pull the injector lines AGAIN this morning. Ran a bead on both the head and cover, letting it cure for another half hour before tightening down.

Labor of love, right?!

FYI - no need to remove fuel pipes - just remove the clamps, carefully pull the pipes up outta the way, making no sharp bends in any tube - they'll pull up far enuff so the valve-cover can be snaked out the front, after the accessories have been moved outta the way

Back