• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Seat belt problem is it safe ?

Acesneights1

Reaction score
My 98 Burb came missing the drivers side 2nd row seat and belt. I found a seat at the junky but could not find a seatbelt. GM discontinued it and LMC doesn't list it. I found one from a 94 which bolted up but looked a little different. My issue is the pass side one which is factory if you pull it all the way out and let it back it locks . The one I got from the 94 burb does not. Is it safe ? I use it with a Booster seat. Why is it not locking ? It looked fine, not rusting or anything.

I wouldn't use it with a booster seat, Kenny ... those ones didn't lock/set ... they were an inertial lock. There was (at one point in time) a kit to adapt them into a lock/set type, but I haven't seen one in years.

Hmmm....what do I do ? I guess back to the junky to find one that does ? any idea what years have the lock ? I always get nervous using the booster seat in the CUCV with the inertia ones but that is what they came with.

This makes me nervous, I have to pick up my niece Sat and need both back seatbelts. Maybe I'll try and get to the junky tomorrow.

You can buy seat belt locks... they are a plain steel piece that the belt threads through and won't let it slide. I'll see if I can find a pic.

I'm an old fart... we never had car seats/booster seats.. my kids had seats with non-locking belts... now my grandkids are in these contraptions and my kids are educating me on how to make them safe.

Sigh

Kenny, most kids seats come with the piece Jim shows. If you get in a jam I have one I am not using. Call me if you need it...

I am sure you may also have a ratchet strap hanging around that you could also use.....:hihi:

My son is five he only needs a booster . I use the 3 point seatbelt over him I just don't like that it doesn't lock. I "think" the e clip was for securing the seat to the vehichle and then strapping the child in with the harness from the carseat. The booster I use uses the vehicles seat belt but I still always pull it all the way out and let it roll back in and lock. No dice so far at the junky. Damn, did you ever think there'd be a day when you can't get basic Chevy truck parts ??:nonod:

To think I dragged my (now 38 YO) daughter around standing up in a playpen with mesh sides strapped to the back bumper of my '66 Chevy panel van. OMG the nanny state political types would scream!:eek:
I'm more safety conscious that I used to be but jeeze...

I never wore a bike helmet either:shrug:

I never and still don't wear a seatbelt, but that is my consequence. When it comes to my son, I take every precaution but like you guys said in our days our parents just threw us in the back seat. There were no car seats. People had alot more sense though too.

Back