• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sea Foam

jeffjbar

Recruit
Reaction score
IT WORKS!!!

I seafoamed my truck 3 fillups or about 800 mi ago and my first tank I got 10.5mpg, second 11.76 and yesterday I got 12.9mpg. I am not sure if it was the seafoam or not, but I like the results.

what exactly is sea foam and what is it supposed to do?

Comes in a can... It's pretty good stuff.. removes water, other small particles, will de-gel and prevent gelling of diesel to some extent. I dump a can in with a full tank of gas twice a year.

SeaFoam.jpg

Last edited:
Works great for small engines too. I couldn't tell you the last time I disassembled a carb on anything. A little seafoam and it cleans it right up. It's good for sticky gummed up lawn mowers, etc.

Works great for small engines too. I couldn't tell you the last time I disassembled a carb on anything. A little seafoam and it cleans it right up. It's good for sticky gummed up lawn mowers, etc.

Yup.. Stabil when you put it away.. seafoam in the first full tank will make your life soo much easier! Use it on your snowmobile, boat, mower, w/e particularly if you use it seasonally!

I have a friend they used it to fix his bike. The jets in his carb were messed up up from not using stable in the winter months.

Yup.. Stabil when you put it away.. seafoam in the first full tank will make your life soo much easier! Use it on your snowmobile, boat, mower, w/e particularly if you use it seasonally!

I don't like Sta-bil... its alcohol based and hydroscopic; attracts water and doesn't help the problems created by ethanol. I use mineral oil stabilizers instead.

anyone use it in the crankcase? my nissan has 210k on it and i was curious what it would do before i change the oil... also going to pour some in the intake and get some of that tranny stuff too maybe

I know my friend uses it but he doesn't pour it in the tank he some how uses a vaccum line to inhale it into the intake... Not sure how that works... He says his 01 Crown Vic P71 cruiser runs much smoother after...

I know my friend uses it but he doesn't pour it in the tank he some how uses a vaccum line to inhale it into the intake... Not sure how that works... He says his 01 Crown Vic P71 cruiser runs much smoother after...

I have not put it in the tank either. I take the brake booster line loose and let it suck it out of a cup until it kills the engine. Let it sit for about 20 min and then run it like a scalded dog. It will blow so much smoke that your neighbors will call the FD, for about 2 miles and then clear up.

anyone use it in the crankcase? my nissan has 210k on it and i was curious what it would do before i change the oil... also going to pour some in the intake and get some of that tranny stuff too maybe

I thought about it but was too scared to do it.

I have not put it in the tank either. I take the brake booster line loose and let it suck it out of a cup until it kills the engine. Let it sit for about 20 min and then run it like a scalded dog. It will blow so much smoke that your neighbors will call the FD, for about 2 miles and then clear up.

Do you let it suck the whole can?

I thought about it but was too scared to do it.

I did once in a '90 350 gasser a couple of years ago. It had 160k and was poorly maintained before I got it. I figured it would free up sticky lifters, etc. Ran it in there for a few hundred miles before I changed the oil. Don't know if it made a difference, but I felt better after I did it and it still ran good. Still is running too, so it didn't mess anything up!!! The oil was pretty black, but not extra thin or anything. It also doesn't burn a drop of oil. Not sure if it did before b/c I did it when I got the truck.

Well the google spiders where looking here so I might as well ask a question ):h
Is doing that bad for the cat? This stuff plug them up at all?

Well the google spiders where looking here so I might as well ask a question ):h
Is doing that bad for the cat? This stuff plug them up at all?

I don't know for sure but I don't think that it would plug it up, unless it was about plugged up anyway. I guess if your truck burns alot of oil it might be pushing it. I don't really know though.:confused:

I don't know for sure but I don't think that it would plug it up, unless it was about plugged up anyway. I guess if your truck burns alot of oil it might be pushing it. I don't really know though.:confused:

Thanks, Think Ill give it a try on my Grand Am as a PM :thumbsup:

use 1/2 a can to be sucked through the vacuum system, try to keep the engine running while you do it (need to keep it at 2k rpm's otherwise it'l try to stall).

3 cans total works great for a full system clean.
1/2 for vacuum system
1 1/2 for fuel tank
1 for oil.

dont run it for too long in the oil, no more than a few hundred miles but the can does all it needs to after about 15 minutes. pour it in, fire up the motor and let it run for 15-20 minutes. change the oil/filter and its good to go. seafoam or b12 both work great, just depends on which is cheaper in your area.

My dad always cautioned not to seafoam really old engines on account of they might be being held together by something seafoam dissolves ):h.

Back