• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

School me on gauges

BigBlueBurban

Umm no...WAIT...yes
Reaction score
I'm going to be looking into purchasing some gauges soon. What I'm looking for are advantages/disadvantages to mechanical/electrical, brands, personal opinions, your setups (pics!), any info you deem pertinant to the topic of gauges, etc. Thanks guys.

The difference between mechanical and electrical is that on a mechanical, the force through the engine that you are actually trying to measure gets read on the gauge. And mechanical is done through electricity (obbviously) For example...A mechanical boost gauge is read through the force going through the tube, and making the needle move. A electronic Pyro is read through a sensor in the manifold, and then sends a signal to the gauge. I am a big fan a autometer, simply because in this case, I am a bit of a fashion over function kinda guy in this. I am close enough I figure so i am not worried about it. Many people also like the Dripricol's and isspro's becasuse they are built great and also have a stock look and match the factory dash fairly decent.

Here are my Ultra Lite II's

Attachments

• P1010210.jpg
    P1010210.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010213.jpg
    P1010213.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 30
Smokin LB7, I was planing on getting the Ultra Lite gauges before seeing your gauges, but now after seeing them, I love how those look. No without a doubt, those are the one's I will be getting.

I have the Autometer Nexxus gauges. Pricey but cool... I don't have pics I will try and find some...

I've had good luck with my ISSPRO'S..white face blue dials, though they do make other colors. Check with Dieselmanor..hope I'm allowed to say that..:biggrin5: Their gauges come with great instruction (pic's) and more stuff to hook them up than you will ever use.

I've had good luck with my ISSPRO'S..white face blue dials, though they do make other colors. Check with Dieselmanor..hope I'm allowed to say that..:biggrin5: Their gauges come with great instruction (pic's) and more stuff to hook them up than you will ever use.

Never heard of them gunna have to take a look.

i also have and love the automoter II series. i have the phantom and love em. i did the sport comp II in my dads and like them better. only because of the face color. at night the white face of the phantoms turns pinkish from the needle. the sports have a black face and at night it is a better color. jmo. they work great. see my album for a pic i will post it there now.

Last edited:
i have the Autometer Ultra Lites and like them . I also have the edge insight and was able to match the insight backlighting to the ultra lites. looks good to me.

Smokin LB7, I was planing on getting the Ultra Lite gauges before seeing your gauges, but now after seeing them, I love how those look. No without a doubt, those are the one's I will be getting.

Glad I could help. I promise you wont be dissapointed

I've had such piss poor luck with Autometer over the years, there is only one gauge manufacturer I will have in my truck.

ISSPRO.

I have Both the Performax Electronic (SMD) Gauges, and the Setup to match the 3rdgen dodge IPanel.

Love them, been in there 2 years, no issues whatsoever.

I still have my Autometers... they work great for doorstops and ash trays.....

i like the looks of the prosport gauges. i'm going to use the green faced ones when i put some in my truck.

I use autometers and I have had great luck with them. My boost is mechanical and pyro is electrical K-Type thermocouple. I have a thermocouple reader and when I read the thermocouple separate of the gauge it varies like 20 degrees colder that the gauge reads. for a non calibrated gauge I dont think that is too bad.

Autometer Cobalts. Well worth the price. I love them and I'm glad I made the choice.

Attachments

• HPIM1100.jpg
    HPIM1100.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM1101.jpg
    HPIM1101.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
I really like the look of the Cobalts. Those are what I was looking at getting just based on the way they look.

Wiring doesn't bother me. I'm decent at it and did all of the wiring on my Suburban for the stereo, lights, etc.

ive got the z series on the a pillar..pretty happy wit them...i also have the red led backlights..ill post up a pic pretty soon

Back