• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

scan tool recomendations

packratt

Reaction score
For the past several years I haven't had time to sleep much less turn a wrench.

Now I've got a little time and my Snap-On Brick has died.

Need a scanner that will work on 96 and up GM, Ford and Toyota.

When I was active Autoenginuity was the top dog for PC based scan tools. Looked today and it looks like they have doubled the price and cut the functionality unless you buy their special professional upgrades, since I last looked at it.

What are the current preferences? Looked at Scantool.net's product but don't know anything about it other than their advertising.

Scantool . net doesn't seem to give much detail. Seems you have to buy several pieces and modules to read enhanced features. I THINK the Toyota "protocol" (what ever the language is) is like GM. Mazda is not. I would check into that. I did not see a scantool . net software that mentioned Toyota, Asian, Canbus, or European "protocols". I just saw GM, Ford, and Mazda by name.

I still haven't bought one but liked the Launch CREADER series best last time I almost bought one. http://launchtechusa.com/ IIRC the CRP123 was the one a guy recommended to me just chatting one day about a year or year and half ago and it looks pretty good. They also have a couple newer ones that are more powerful for not much more money than the CRP123.

Take a look and see what you think of Launch. Post back what you learn and buy eventually.

This is what I and a few other members use, it isn't the most user friendly but it works and is inexpensive.

I have that too Leo and its a bit cumbersome IMO. I bought a cheap used laptop with widows 7 and down loaded the obd-2 software. It seems to do a lot. I am just not very comfortable with it. It was not very comfortable holding the laptop and the wires pulling on the usb ports again just my opinion. I have not tried any update or any add on downloads for Mazda or other protocols. The guy behind the OBD-2 seems to be a character and the website is peppered with weird phrases.
I couldn't get it to read ABS codes which I don't THINK it will. But not sure it says it will. I misread and misunderstood going back and forth looking at all the other options out there and thought I read a blurb on his website then couldn't find it again after I bought it. I'll assume my ABS light turned out to be wheel bearings/front wheel speed sensors as once I replaced my front bearings the ABS light went out. So I haven't needed a scanner in a while and pulled off my shopping for one. I think if you have to get the Trican and serial to usb adapters for the obd-2 for the same money you can get a Creader launch unit. So again IMO the OBD-2 is not the best bang for the money it use to be.

Go to youtube and there are a few videos of the Launch and they appear to be pretty good bang for the buck and simple to use. But to be fair I'll have to go look for a video of the obd-2 above and might learn how to use it better.

Tuned in for more info.

I bought mine with the Trican for about 1/2 what it is now. Never used it much until last spring when I got my 98 running, used it to set the timing. Thankfully Quomack had a tutorial on doing that.

When I was a Mac Tools guy, other than Launch doing direct sells like they still do, we were exclusive sellers. I am not a diagnostic/ drivability guy- I stumble with this field. But to get something else to have to he same capabilities as a launch tool in a different brand, it took 50% more $.
Launch had excellent customer service support.

They worked directly with many of the manufacturers, only reverse engineering done on a few.

One of the snapon dealers I competed against (friendly relationship between us) bought his route after having been snapons head electronic field rep for this part of the country. His personal knowledge and serice to our joint customers killed me on advanced unit sales overall. The only way I beat him to sales was with Launch. When I went out of business, we spoke about an hour. 1/2 of the time was about Launch and how I really missed the boat and should have been able to steal at least 1/2 of his sales in his opinion, leaving matco and cornwell empty handed.

The more basic ones I sold a zillion of, because I could use them, so knew how good they were and could properly sell them.

This was all years ago, so what the new units do now and in comparison I really can not say.

OTC made great, reliable items but were nearing the price of snapon, and lacked in customer support. Maybe they have since improved, idk.

One thing I would say is call customer support numbers to items you consider, and see how willing they are to waste their time with you so you know what support will be if you need it. My 2c.

I have that too Leo and its a bit cumbersome IMO. I bought a cheap used laptop with widows 7 and down loaded the obd-2 software. It seems to do a lot. I am just not very comfortable with it. It was not very comfortable holding the laptop and the wires pulling on the usb ports again just my opinion. I have not tried any update or any add on downloads for Mazda or other protocols. The guy behind the OBD-2 seems to be a character and the website is peppered with weird phrases.
I couldn't get it to read ABS codes which I don't THINK it will. But not sure it says it will. I misread and misunderstood going back and forth looking at all the other options out there and thought I read a blurb on his website then couldn't find it again after I bought it. I'll assume my ABS light turned out to be wheel bearings/front wheel speed sensors as once I replaced my front bearings the ABS light went out. So I haven't needed a scanner in a while and pulled off my shopping for one. I think if you have to get the Trican and serial to usb adapters for the obd-2 for the same money you can get a Creader launch unit. So again IMO the OBD-2 is not the best bang for the money it use to be.

Go to youtube and there are a few videos of the Launch and they appear to be pretty good bang for the buck and simple to use. But to be fair I'll have to go look for a video of the obd-2 above and might learn how to use it better.

Tuned in for more info.
Carcode obd-2 has lots of options even can adjust ABS for brake to tire size change but it is a PITA too.

I still haven't bought one but liked the Launch CREADER series best last time I almost bought one. http://launchtechusa.com/ IIRC the CRP123 was the one a guy recommended to me just chatting one day about a year or year and half ago and it looks pretty good. They also have a couple newer ones that are more powerful for not much more money than the CRP123.

Take a look and see what you think of Launch. Post back what you learn and buy eventually.

If you decide to buy it make sure you get it from an authorized dealer for your region. From what I've been able to read you can buy non us copy for about 1/2 the price as from US auth. dealers but they will provide NO SUPPORT and will not even answer questions.

It looks good. Napa is one of their authorized dealers and my employer has a major account with them. Next time I'm there I'll see what getting it through work adds up to.

Back