• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Safe to run straight distilled in cooling system?

Yeah I used to have a set of those metal inserts for the grille, but the last deer I hit kinda mutilated them, I should get some screen though.

As for the taste, I wouldn’t know, and I don’t want to try em lol.
Just some aluminum window screening behind the grille and in front of the radiator will make a lot of difference.

Wrong. Water Wetter DOES work. You just don't have the education to understand basic physics, chemistry and thermal dynamics and lack the experience working with racing engines, also, to understand why it works. So everything you can't understand is "Snake Oil" when it isn't and leaves you vunerable to real Snake Oil because you can't tell the difference.
The 6.5 is not a race application. Tried it and it did nothing. I’ve posted detailed test videos on it and it did nothing. Nice that you claim superior knowledge of physics, but just show us the evidence as opposed to hearsay. Don’t tell me surfactant snake oil BS.

Last edited:
The 6.5 is not a race application. Tried it and it did nothing. I’ve posted detailed test videos on it and it did nothing. Nice that you claim superior knowledge of physics, but just show us the evidence as opposed to hearsay.
No, you proved your total lack of knowledge of both physics and thermodynamics. Your "observations" were and STILL are scientifically meaningless, despite your continual spoiled child whining. Water Wetter does exactly what it's supposed to do, it's not my fault you're too ignorant to understand the difference between HEAT and TEMPERATURE. Water Wetter helps to transfer HEAT from engine metal surfaces into the coolant where it then taken to the radiator and that HEAT then transferred to the metal of the radiator and then to the air flowing through the radiator and enables more HEAT to be transfered MORE EFFICIENTLY than either plain water or a water/antifreeze solution can.

No, you proved your total lack of knowledge of both physics and thermodynamics. Your "observations" were and STILL are scientifically meaningless, despite your continual spoiled child whining. Water Wetter does exactly what it's supposed to do, it's not my fault you're too ignorant to understand the difference between HEAT and TEMPERATURE. Water Wetter helps to transfer HEAT from engine metal surfaces into the coolant where it then taken to the radiator and that HEAT then transferred to the metal of the radiator and then to the air flowing through the radiator and enables more HEAT to be transfered MORE EFFICIENTLY than either plain water or a water/antifreeze solution can.
Prove it. Show me the tests. Your BS is meaningless. Claiming more without the data is like campfire BS.

BTW pretty sure I have more education than you. It may be in finance, but the general Ed required physics courses, which I excelled in. The difference is I made a shit load of money and wealth while you spew speculative BS on the internet. You should quit while you’re behind.

The 6.5 is not a race application. Tried it and it did nothing. I’ve posted detailed test videos on it and it did nothing. Nice that you claim superior knowledge of physics, but just show us the evidence as opposed to hearsay. Don’t tell me surfactant snake oil BS.
“Water wetter website claims that in a 50/50 mix with glycol there will be no reduction in temp. It is recommended to keep the concntration of glycol down if you have to use it at all. Have it in a couple of cars. I am also cautious about rust. So far none.”

Remind me what kind of vehicle I’m driving? It’s using 50/50 coolant plus distilled water mix. Duh!

@J_dude hope this isn’t a big sidetrack for you. Original question answered already but the water wetter thing is relative for later. Want it all gone off your thread- ask and we quit posting it here, and a moderator can erase the individual posts.
Ok@Big T
Are you saying surfactants don’t do anything? Or that you don’t think it does enough for this application do be beniftial.

Argument from authority or economics is ad hominem.

My skillset as a mechanic had me schooling engineers more times than not. So I hold a restricted level of value for “higher education”. I went from 41k a year, to opening a business and was a millionaire in less than a year. But money ruins me- I am THAT guy. We flushed it and it saved the things that actually matter in life- relationships. I rather struggle with money sometimes and continue giving away the portions I do and not be hated by everyone and me hating everyone. So money making is low value as well imo.
So since this is a vehicle based forum- let’s leave out the poorly constructed debate tactics that every philosophy student learns in month one, and focus on the issues.
See. Authorities argument proved nothing. My big dogs can eat your little dogs.
See. Personal attacks didn’t solve it either.

Subject matter:
I will skip does soap work videos. YouTube search “how soap works” if needed.
I suggest going to 2X speed on these. They are dry and easy to follow.

So I am gonna assume everyone realizes surfactants are real and actually work.
So does it make a difference in your rig? If you have rust in your system or if you have aluminum oxide in your system- NO. Are you running a low silicate coolant or some long life junk, especially dexcool, then- Hell no. You are trying to wash an oil tanker clean with one drop of dish soap.
Take a clean engine and radiator. Fill it 90% distilled water and 10% antifreeze. Start engine and time/ temp chart it. Then let it cool and add water wetter and chart again. You will 100% see the difference. It works. When you add a ton of antifreeze, guess what happens- you need more surfactant to do the same job. Why? Silicates. They are the opposite of a surfactant.

The truck you are talking about is having a serious problem. Seriously start a thread on it and lets go over all the details to solve it. If you don’t want to run water wetter or similar, fine. Don’t believe in it, fine. But for every person that had no results like you, there is 3 more like me that had positive results. Wanna do a diy science experiment at home and show it works or doesn’t work- have at it. Just remember the idea is how fast does heat go from container 1 to container 2. When you have a thermostat in the rig that forces the water temp to get up to a certain temperature- it will get there. The idea of the surfactant is to help move the heat energy from the heads and block into the water, then from water into the metal cores of the radiator.

The number 1 thing I found when people didn’t have it work was doing a radiator flush. Rather than dump it onto the ground, capture it in a container. Slide the container out of the way and continue working. Then when the container has settled out, examine what is at the bottom of that container. Diagnostics - actually troubleshooting is what makes the difference of parts cannon fixing vs guessing it was item #7 or a combination of items 1-7.

I am not saying you are wrong in that it didn’t work in that truck. I believe you saw no results. The fact that you saw no results is evidence of a problem inside the system.
Hows the ph? Sample sent in? Is it flushing clean from the two block drains as well as the radiator? Are you running a high mileage antifreeze? (Last one if he isn’t going into freezing temperatures I would say cut the ratio. 50/50 is ideal... for going way below zero. You know where I live. I never run 50/50. 75/25 is my target range. That in itself makes a major impact in cooling. I sometimes say coolant and sometimes say antifreeze. But it really should be called antifreeze because that is what it helps. Water is the best coolant- not the “coolant”.

@J_dude hope this isn’t a big sidetrack for you. Original question answered already but the water wetter thing is relative for later. Want it all gone off your thread- ask and we quit posting it here, and a moderator can erase the individual posts.
Ok@Big T
Are you saying surfactants don’t do anything? Or that you don’t think it does enough for this application do be beniftial.

Argument from authority or economics is ad hominem.

My skillset as a mechanic had me schooling engineers more times than not. So I hold a restricted level of value for “higher education”. I went from 41k a year, to opening a business and was a millionaire in less than a year. But money ruins me- I am THAT guy. We flushed it and it saved the things that actually matter in life- relationships. I rather struggle with money sometimes and continue giving away the portions I do and not be hated by everyone and me hating everyone. So money making is low value as well imo.
So since this is a vehicle based forum- let’s leave out the poorly constructed debate tactics that every philosophy student learns in month one, and focus on the issues.
See. Authorities argument proved nothing. My big dogs can eat your little dogs.
See. Personal attacks didn’t solve it either.

Subject matter:
I will skip does soap work videos. YouTube search “how soap works” if needed.
I suggest going to 2X speed on these. They are dry and easy to follow.

So I am gonna assume everyone realizes surfactants are real and actually work.
So does it make a difference in your rig? If you have rust in your system or if you have aluminum oxide in your system- NO. Are you running a low silicate coolant or some long life junk, especially dexcool, then- Hell no. You are trying to wash an oil tanker clean with one drop of dish soap.
Take a clean engine and radiator. Fill it 90% distilled water and 10% antifreeze. Start engine and time/ temp chart it. Then let it cool and add water wetter and chart again. You will 100% see the difference. It works. When you add a ton of antifreeze, guess what happens- you need more surfactant to do the same job. Why? Silicates. They are the opposite of a surfactant.

The truck you are talking about is having a serious problem. Seriously start a thread on it and lets go over all the details to solve it. If you don’t want to run water wetter or similar, fine. Don’t believe in it, fine. But for every person that had no results like you, there is 3 more like me that had positive results. Wanna do a diy science experiment at home and show it works or doesn’t work- have at it. Just remember the idea is how fast does heat go from container 1 to container 2. When you have a thermostat in the rig that forces the water temp to get up to a certain temperature- it will get there. The idea of the surfactant is to help move the heat energy from the heads and block into the water, then from water into the metal cores of the radiator.

The number 1 thing I found when people didn’t have it work was doing a radiator flush. Rather than dump it onto the ground, capture it in a container. Slide the container out of the way and continue working. Then when the container has settled out, examine what is at the bottom of that container. Diagnostics - actually troubleshooting is what makes the difference of parts cannon fixing vs guessing it was item #7 or a combination of items 1-7.

I am not saying you are wrong in that it didn’t work in that truck. I believe you saw no results. The fact that you saw no results is evidence of a problem inside the system.
Hows the ph? Sample sent in? Is it flushing clean from the two block drains as well as the radiator? Are you running a high mileage antifreeze? (Last one if he isn’t going into freezing temperatures I would say cut the ratio. 50/50 is ideal... for going way below zero. You know where I live. I never run 50/50. 75/25 is my target range. That in itself makes a major impact in cooling. I sometimes say coolant and sometimes say antifreeze. But it really should be called antifreeze because that is what it helps. Water is the best coolant- not the “coolant”.
Will, I know what a surfactant is and what they do. Thanks for the oil industry videos. I’ve litterally done billions worth of reserve based lending in the oil industry, reading all the engineering reports, so you’re preaching to the choir and the other poster here says I don’t understand the basics of physics. Ummm ok.

So even Watter Wetter’s own site says you will see NO Benefit running a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant, WHICH IS WHAT I RUN. Greatest benefit is in race applications running mostly water, WHICH IS NOT, NOR WILL IT EVER BE MY APPLICATION, or anyone else’s here for that matter. That is my point. Y’all pushing stuff that will never have much benefit in our applications. Fortunately, the cost is negligible, so it’s not much of a detour. Still waiting for someone to post definitive cooling improvements in our application. Until then, it’s 50/50 mix and watching of surfactant Dawn dish soap cleaning oil soaked birds.

If someone is in an area where they are at 0°f and below, no it isn’t a great answer for helping COMPLETE temperatures stay down. It WILL still help in the head steam pockets.

In the southwest where your son is if I am not mistaken and he doesn’t deal with those low temps in the winter- it is stupid to run 50/50. Especially in a rig fighting heat.
WATER COOLS. Antifreeze does not, it stops the water from freezing. He should be running 70/30 or 75/25. And the antifreeze needs to be ethylene glycol. And water wetter definitely helps at those levels.

In the fleet before there was good solutions to the heads cracking in the steam pockets- we played with several options. That is how I know it helps in there even with higher antifreeze ratios.

We are talking $20 here. Vs cracking the heads sooner, and helping ease the water jacket cylinder wall erosion that is really bad along cylinders 7 & 8. Then in many cases helping keep temps down. Viable gamble for engines known to die of heat death.

But “Still waiting for someone to post definitive cooling improvements in our application.” ???

I have experience spending tens of thousands of dollars to show in both lad and field applications how differences are made. Did it for years for GM, Ford, Honda, etc.
Want me to dedicate a month of work and thousands of dollars to show you how something works for these engines so you know wether or not a few bucks from your pocket is worth it? Dude- there is multiple people here telling you our experiences over thousands of 6.5 engines running millions of miles. No clue how else to say it.

I am the one calling bs on companies selling crap for years. Been kicked off more than one site for costing sales from vendors. I don’t promote stuff I haven’t seen work.
I see the OP is in Canada- aka frozen land where someone should have 50/50. It still helps heads and cylinder walls from getting the metal deteriorated and slows the cracking between the valves.

Where you are getting that they say it doesn’t do any good on their website if 50/50- I don’t understand.

It's been my understanding all along that:

1) Antifreeze coolant mix (usually 50-50) is also a lubricant for the water pump as well as anti corrosion treatment meaning it's needed no matter where you live.

2) Racetracks make you use straight water because antifreeze on the track is slicker-n-snot and doesn't evaporate like water.

3) Water wetter made a SIGNIFICANT improvement on cooling of the 2 dirt track late model cars I crewed for back in the '90s.

It's been my understanding all along that:

1) Antifreeze coolant mix (usually 50-50) is also a lubricant for the water pump as well as anti corrosion treatment meaning it's needed no matter where you live.

2) Racetracks make you use straight water because antifreeze on the track is slicker-n-snot and doesn't evaporate like water.

3) Water wetter made a SIGNIFICANT improvement on cooling of the 2 dirt track late model cars I crewed for back in the '90s.
I've also witnessed people heading north or into
Mountains and having issues from running water because they don't need antifreeze where they are from

While we’re here, and discussing the topic of cooling systems; How do I know which water pump I have? I’d like to know if I have the HO water pump or not.

I think I found another coolant leak today... :(
Seems to be seeping from around where the water pump bolts to the block or around there anyway. So if I have to take the WP off I’d like to upgrade to the better one if the truck doesn’t have it already.

If someone is in an area where they are at 0°f and below, no it isn’t a great answer for helping COMPLETE temperatures stay down. It WILL still help in the head steam pockets.

In the southwest where your son is if I am not mistaken and he doesn’t deal with those low temps in the winter- it is stupid to run 50/50. Especially in a rig fighting heat.
WATER COOLS. Antifreeze does not, it stops the water from freezing. He should be running 70/30 or 75/25. And the antifreeze needs to be ethylene glycol. And water wetter definitely helps at those levels.

In the fleet before there was good solutions to the heads cracking in the steam pockets- we played with several options. That is how I know it helps in there even with higher antifreeze ratios.

We are talking $20 here. Vs cracking the heads sooner, and helping ease the water jacket cylinder wall erosion that is really bad along cylinders 7 & 8. Then in many cases helping keep temps down. Viable gamble for engines known to die of heat death.

But “Still waiting for someone to post definitive cooling improvements in our application.” ???

I have experience spending tens of thousands of dollars to show in both lad and field applications how differences are made. Did it for years for GM, Ford, Honda, etc.
Want me to dedicate a month of work and thousands of dollars to show you how something works for these engines so you know wether or not a few bucks from your pocket is worth it? Dude- there is multiple people here telling you our experiences over thousands of 6.5 engines running millions of miles. No clue how else to say it.

I am the one calling bs on companies selling crap for years. Been kicked off more than one site for costing sales from vendors. I don’t promote stuff I haven’t seen work.
I see the OP is in Canada- aka frozen land where someone should have 50/50. It still helps heads and cylinder walls from getting the metal deteriorated and slows the cracking between the valves.

Where you are getting that they say it doesn’t do any good on their website if 50/50- I don’t understand.

He takes the rig up to Big Bear where it does freeze.

Back