• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rust at the firewall to floor pan seem

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
The Suburbans and the Tahoe are starting to rust Rust at the firewall to floor pan seem.

I pumped some rust converter on the seem and now want to coat it with something.

What would be best? Something better than aerosol spray undercoat? Bed liner?
Epoxy?

I would also like to take a step at preserving the no rust condition of the 94.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Rust Oleum has something called Rust Reformer that I'm going to try. I wouldn't mind using POR15 but the price is steep and there's a lot of prep work required to get good results. I'd use it if i happened to be doing a frame off restoration, but that's not in the cards for the sub.

I also read somewhere that rust oleum's product needs rust to bond to and convert whereas the POR15 does not. If you are going to sand blast the area you may want to look into that.

Even POR15 needs some kind of prep to bond to clean metal (rust is best also), an acid etch will do which is what they use (Metal Ready). Good stuff though if done right. Buy in small cans though once opened it eventually kicks off.

I've had good results with the beginnings of rust by coating liberally in an outdoor wax based product such as Fluid Film or Spray On S00777 and then maintaining that yearly

Problem with rubberised underbody coats/bedliner if you do not fully treat/erradicate rust is that you'll just trap the rust in/create a moisture trap and it will just keep on going and faster than if you knocked the loose off and left it exposed IMHO.

Cheers
Nobby

Problem with rubberised underbody coats/bedliner if you do not fully treat/erradicate rust is that you'll just trap the rust in/create a moisture trap and it will just keep on going and faster than if you knocked the loose off and left it exposed IMHO.

Cheers
Nobby

Very true! I had a friend paint a rusted old blazer with bedliner thinking "problem solved". Then about a year later after alot of mudding and riding the river banks he got a tree limb stuck through the rocker and it colapsed a LARGE hole in the truck, it looked nasty.

Cut the rust out, seal the body back up, THEN paint it whith what ever tickles your fancy. Bedliner does not cure cancer.

Back