• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running Spring Clamps...

If you Saw how much they Wrap when Taking Off and Braking, you'd Wonder how they can give such a Hard Ride, because they Look SOFT.

SPring clamps haven't come off since I put them on a couple years ago...

Yes the Timbrens are on there...When the new proper sized rubber comes in I'll get a before and after pic of the current(resting on axle) and the newer clearance ones...

also have the sulastics on there too...

:D

:nopics:

IIRC, Pepp has "Dura-Clamps"

I'm still interested in a pic there Pepp. I do believe I can fab up a set and would like a refresher on 'Dura-Clamps'

I'm not doing all out racing or pulling but frequently I have to power through heavy snow and the axle wind up is pretty severe. I do believe clamps would help and I wanted to see your install.

dang...I knew I forgot to do something today(picture of Dura-Clamps installed)

Jeff... they clamp the end of the helper/overload spring to the main spring pack...you place the clamp about an inch or two from the end of the helper/overload spring...
OK here is a pic of the Dura-Clamps©

attachment.php

and here is a pic I posted in April of 2009

attachment.php

Spring Clamp.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I see what they do now Paul. A picture is truly worth a thousand words or more! :thumbsup: Now I understand axle wrap. ;)

Did you make your own spring clamps Paul? So your running all three items at once. Thanks.

Paul...a couple of questions. What did you use to compress the springs when you installed the clamps? Will a floor jack do it?

When you called Timbren are they sending a complete new kit to you or just the rubber? I'm guessing the kit I got will be too long also.

Oh, I see what they do now Paul. A picture is truly worth a thousand words or more! :thumbsup: Now I understand axle wrap. ;)

Did you make your own spring clamps Paul? So your running all three items at once. Thanks.

Dura-Ration (Steve) made them for me...very strong...

Yep...running all three at once...

Paul...a couple of questions....What did you use to compress the springs when you installed the clamps? Will a floor jack do it?
Well these clamps are pretty strong...not just a squared off ubolt that may or may not stretch...We just put them on the springs and took turns tightening each bolt a few turns at a time on each side of the spring...no jack was necessary...

When you called Timbren are they sending a complete new kit to you or just the rubber? I'm guessing the kit I got will be too long also.

Ed.

they are sending just the rubbers...you will see once you get your kit...the same bolt and rubber spring pad mount will be used...the kit comes with two bolt sizes so you can add an inch spacer on each side if needed(not needed)...the bolt goes all the way up inside the rubber through a steel sleeve molded into the top of the rubber and bolts to the rubber spring pad/mount...which in turn mounts to the frame... so the new rubber will still use the same shorter bolt to bolt to the same mount that mounts to the frame...

Is that short bar behind the clamp to keep it from sliding back?

actually that is a really thick rubber O-ring sold by Merchant automotive...the spring isolators(push in to lock plastic discs) on the overload springs always disappear/ wear out and when you hit a harsh bump like speed bump the springs "clank" from the metal to metal spring slap...so we use these for a permanent replacement for them

they aren't necessary for the front anymore, now that the spring packs are clamped to the overload... but they are still of use at the back of the springs where the overload spring is not clamped to the spring pack...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Paul. So 1/2" x 2" bar stock with 1/2" gr 8 bolts. Got all of it on hand. Just have to fab 'em up.

Paul, when you get the new timbrens installed can you start a new thread with them in the title so all related comments/questions about those can be in one thread. I am really interested in the feedback on these and forget to look for the thread titled spring clamps. I am a busy man Ha!
Axle wrap.....try 4" lift blocks....now that's axle wrap!

Ed.

they are sending just the rubbers...you will see once you get your kit...the same bolt and rubber spring pad mount will be used...the kit comes with two bolt sizes so you can add an inch spacer on each side if needed(not needed)...the bolt goes all the way up inside the rubber through a steel sleeve molded into the top of the rubber and bolts to the rubber spring pad/mount...which in turn mounts to the frame... so the new rubber will still use the same shorter bolt to bolt to the same mount that mounts to the frame...

Paul did you get the new rubber installed? I haven't had the time to try to install mine but I'm sure they will be too long also. I called Timbren and was told to try to in stall they they would ship me shorter rubber. I have 7" between frame and axle.

the new rubbers haven't arrived yet...any day now :rolleyes:

actually the first guy that said he was shipping them never did...this time I got the persons name and a case #...as of last Wednesday they said 5 business days...should be here anytime...

I'll keep you guys informed...

Back