• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

running rough with white smoke

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
i was drivng my truck today and when i came to a stop i noticed my truck was puking white smoke. its unburnt fuel i can smell it. also its running real rough shaking the truck. it starts fine just the miss and smoke. this leads me to believe one of my injectors died. am i heading in the rigth direction or is it the pump. the truck is all stock with 166k miles

The injectors are past the 100K rated life. Even the worst injector will start to fire at some point. Melting a piston when it does fire or scoring the walls from raw diesel is possible. Bad injectors can miss cold. The pump supplies all 8 so it works or doesn't on ALL 8.

Likely you have other issues causing the miss. Pop the oil fill cap and look for a chug of smoke. Then suspect the rocker arm buttons for breaking and dropping a cylinder out from a closed valve. Maybe even a burnt valve.

that would create a loud knock wouldn't it? there is no abnormal noises just the rough running and smoke. if i reev it up to 2,000rpm it smooths out but still white smoke. head gaskets are good no coolant use or extra pressure

Have you cracked each injector line open while at a idle yet to see if you can locate the cylinder that is missing ????

Crack one at a time and see if the motor reacts one by one....

i know, when i replaced my friends motor we used the old style arms, i haven't come across another set. well all 16 buttons are replaced and i also pulled and tested injectors, there not original so milage is unknown but all were 2000psi to 2200psi so i feel comfortable with that. now if i could just find a good turbo, mine is leaking just a bit

Back