• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running Board Fuel Tanks

Reaction score
What I did, a few years back was to purchase a pair of running board fuel tanks. They were on a 96 ex-cab 4x4 GMC, the person had them custom made for a ton of dollars, and I got them real cheap. Had to have the front cut back 2 inches for my 265's to clear, but they still hold 45 gallons each. Have seperate switches in the dash panel to turn on each diesel fuel pump, and have lines from both tanks going back to my the tank and refilling it.

Pulling my car trailer, at 55mph, I get 15mpg, truck by itself, at 62mph, gets 18.33. Any faster and the fuel goes away real fast. Fueled in Aberdeen, Washington and traveled thru Oregon, to Ventura, California, and here to Patagonia, Az. still with fuel left in the tanks, about 200 miles worth. This give me the choice of where to fuel with the states having different prices. Fuel here in Az. is about in the $3.74, fuel in California is almost $1.00 higher.

Now there is no law about having external fuel tanks, none what so ever. These are perfectly legal, even in California. Look at all the big rigs out there with external fuel tanks, and they are lower than mine.

Of course there is no picture, yet. I'll see if Paul will post one for me.

Cool. Looking forward to the photo. How did you hook them all up? Were they made from Diamond Plate Aluminum? Baffled?

They are made from diamond plate aluminum. No baffles. About 9 inches across the front and 14 inches across and 4 inches deep and fit the dually rear well. If you take a look at the cam to frame mount, you will see a brace that angles down at about 45 degrees, these tanks set very close to the frame and have that smae angle built in to use as much space as possible. The tanks themselves are no lower than the frame itself. There are 3-3/8 inch channel iron rails the tanks set on and are bolted to, with rubber softeners. A very easy attachment. The fuel pickup is at the lower inside front, where a shutoff valve has also been installed. At the rear is a fuel level sender, too. No crossover line feeding each tank, seperate lines and pumps.

Pictures?

Wish Granted

Ted Towing.jpg

Ted Towing2.jpg

Next time we link up, I'll get more detailed photos of the underside to show mounting, fuel line runs, other side etc.
Wished I'd known he was going to make this thread, I'd have got the shots last weekend when I was down there dodging the Mother-in-law the wife said she just had to see that weekend.

Too late to add to the earlier post, here's a 'Before' shot.

IMG_0272-s.jpg

Circa 2010, Pink Coral Sand Dunes, UT...just before we drove off and left Sunshine at the visitor center....:hihi:

Well that's very interesting.

I was thinking about a bigger custom tank in the OEM location but those are certainly worth considering.

Looks relatively inexpensive and easy compared to fabbing up a bigger tank to fit under the truck.

Where is the fill points? Did I miss that in a previous post?

At the rear is a long vent tube and the fuel level sender.

I may try, if I can remember, to take some pictures of the way the channel iron is bolted and the tanks are then bolted. Get some measurements of the tanks also. The plumbing of the fuel lines, and the pump. But the pictures will have to go to Paveltoz first, he knows how to post them, not me!

That's really cool. They hold 45 gallons apiece? They look a little small, but I'm not an expert, lol.

I was a little off in the measurements of the tanks, depth is 4 3/4", width at the front is 13", width at the rear is 16", length is 115". I will send Paul the pictures I took, the fuel line is tightened up, no leak now. The pumps are Mr. Gasket Green Diesel Pumps. You will see the angle at the rear inside of the tank to match the cab to frame mount. You will also see 2 of the frame mounts.

Top Down-Front to rear
Driver Side.jpg

Depth 4.75"
Measure-Depth-4-75inch.jpg

Width Front 13"
Measure-Front Width-13inch.jpg

Width Rear 16"
Measure-Rear Width-16inch.jpg

Length 115"
Measure-Length-115inch.jpg

Fuel Lines (nice transmission pan)
Fuel Lines-Tank supports.jpg

Fuel Transfer Pump, Mr. Gasket Green location (Frame mount/tank supports visible)
Fuel Pump Mr Gasket Green.jpg

Fuel Transfer Pump Close up
Fuel Pump Mr Green.jpg

Top of Tank from inside Rear Fender Well looking down and forward. Frame mounts visible
Frame Side View.jpg

Back