• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

rtv, locktight, never sieze, ect

Mikey von

Reaction score
So getting ready to assemble my 6.2l and wondering what I need to pick up at the parts store today. These are pretty basic questions, but I would rather ask and get it right then assume and get it wrong.

Here are some areas tha tI have questions on what I should use -

Injectors and glow plugs - never seize
Valve covers - RTV or ???
Water pump backing plate - ??? (had something red and super sticky)
Water pump - rtv?
IP - ???
Intake - rtv??
Flex Plate bolts - ???
exhaust manifolds -???

anything else or any other tips??

So getting ready to assemble my 6.2l and wondering what I need to pick up at the parts store today. These are pretty basic questions, but I would rather ask and get it right then assume and get it wrong.

Here are some areas tha tI have questions on what I should use -

Injectors and glow plugs - never seize(a dab)
Valve covers - RTV or ??? Personal choice. Use it sparingly
Water pump backing plate - ??? (had something red and super sticky)RTV OK
Water pump - rtv?Very light coat
IP - Nothing
Intake - rtv??NO NEVER.
Flex Plate bolts - locktite(blue)
exhaust manifolds -a dab of antisieze or nothing.

anything else or any other tips??

I prefer high tack opposed to RTV. Biggest problem, with RTV is people go nuts with it and then it ends up in the oil pump PU screen and no Oil pressure.

That's very true & prolly part of the origin of the term Blu Goo.

I opened a number of engines sourced from the local U-Pull-It that had dislodged bits of the Blu Goo settled on the oil pump screen.

The RightStuff sealant in the pressurized can often recommended on the 6.5 forums is very effective. And I find it's easier to run consistent a consistently thick bead w/ the pressurized can. Easier to coordinate as you just have to pay attention to moving along the surface at a steady speed - no need to coordinate that w/ also squeezing a tube to push out the sealant. The downside is it's a bit more expensive, & seems to have a limited shelf-life after first use. I've been able to use the can again a few weeks later, but at a few months later, it seems to have setup internally & won't squirt out any longer.

Use the gaskets on the water pump plate and on the timing cover. rtv the water pump bolts[they are submerged in coolant]. RTV or right stuff on valve covers and oil pan. I use anti-sieze on almost every bolt,line and nut.

I use the gaskets on the water pump and back plate along with a THIN coat of RTV to seal the gaskets good.

I use the new Felpro pan gasket set and stick it to the block with a THIN coating of RTV

The Valve covers are best installed (needs to be very clean and dry) with high temp RTV.

Good bead of RTV all around the covers rim, sit the cover on and mush it around slightly and then snug the bolts down lightly.

Allow the RTV under the covers to set up over night and then snug the bolts a little more. DONE

Use locktite (Blue) on the following

Crank snout bolt
Cam retainer plate bolts
Cam gear Bolt (center)
IP gear bolts (3)
water pump back plate bolts (Inner ones)
Inner timing cover bolts (inside and behind the cam gears)
Flex plate bolts

Never seaze

Use on all exhaust manifold and cross over bolts as well as the turbo mount bolts.

The use of RTV is fine, just dont lay it on with a trowel.

The new pan gaskets that have the full circle pan rail and fron t cover piece and the rubber rear seal work well with just a little RTV to stick the gaskets to the block and then to the pan.

A little extra goo at the front corners where the pan angles along the front cover is good.

I use a little RTV right at the junction of the pan and the rear ruber seal.

Never had a leaker yet.

Install the IP gasket dry against the cover and a tiny bit of grease on the IP (you may need to move the IP during a time set procedure)

Install the rear main seal without any sealer, just a little tiny bit of grease on the sealing ribs.

Good to go.

The never seaze on the exhaust parts will help if you ever need to take it apart again.

The RTV on the water pump gaskets helps allow things to come apart easier if you need back in there.

Use RTV OR Hightack on the water pump bolts that go into coolant passages.

RTV is great (tiny bit in the threads) of pipe plugs sending units such as CTS and the heater quick connect fitting and the temp gauge sender.

Have fun and good luck

Missy

Last edited:
Back