• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

rough running low power 00 7.3

Joey D

Reaction score
My 450 started running like crap today, idle is low, rough running until rpms come up and no power.

I will change it today to be sure but it has less than 2000 miles on it.

I checked the oil and swapped out the fuel filter, I drained the bowl before putting in the new element. Starrted up and it's much better. I am going down to drive it around and see if it is fine.

check the oil sounds stupid but theres a safety when the oil gets low they dont run well

I checked the oil and swapped out the fuel filter, I drained the bowl before putting in the new element. Starrted up and it's much better. I am going down to drive it around and see if it is fine.

My neighbor just found out that oil level is very important. His 7.3 ran real rough when cold but got better as it warmed. It finally died the other day he did some research and found out that the (forgive me if its a little vague) there is a high pressure oil pump that creates the fuel pressure (fords equal to the CP3). He was real low on oil so it just was not able to build enough fuel pressure. He added a whold gallon (it leaks) I heard it fire up shortly after he charged both batteries. So be sure to check your oil.... :thumbsup:

There is an expensive repacement for that HUEI pump. It is supposed to be way better and manage the oil pressure better. I think is 2 machined to go back to back.

Now it goes back and forth between running fine then running like crap.

I swapped out the injector pressure sensor and it solved it. Thanks for the help

My neighbor just found out that oil level is very important. His 7.3 ran real rough when cold but got better as it warmed. It finally died the other day he did some research and found out that the (forgive me if its a little vague) there is a high pressure oil pump that creates the fuel pressure (fords equal to the CP3). He was real low on oil so it just was not able to build enough fuel pressure. He added a whold gallon (it leaks) I heard it fire up shortly after he charged both batteries. So be sure to check your oil.... :thumbsup:

what a idiot! how do you not keep an eye on your oil!!!

what a idiot! how do you not keep an eye on your oil!!!

Justin, the irrigation company I used to work for had a 91 or so F-Super Duty with a really wore out Navistar 7.3L IDI (non turbo) backed by a wore out 5-speed. The truck had a utility box and boom for pulling/setting submersibles, it would burn at LEAST a gallon of oil going out to a job, working, and coming back. That's a 50 mile round trip. That's if I babied it, if I kept my foot in it the EPA would pick it up on a satellite and get pissed...when I worked there I'd add up to 2 gallons, depending on how it was driven.

Justin, the irrigation company I used to work for had a 91 or so F-Super Duty with a really wore out Navistar 7.3L IDI (non turbo) backed by a wore out 5-speed. The truck had a utility box and boom for pulling/setting submersibles, it would burn at LEAST a gallon of oil going out to a job, working, and coming back. That's a 50 mile round trip. That's if I babied it, if I kept my foot in it the EPA would pick it up on a satellite and get pissed...when I worked there I'd add up to 2 gallons, depending on how it was driven.

um... wow.... thats more than burning/ leaking oil.... it would have been cheaper to fix it than keep throwing oil at it!

It smelled horrible idling. The cloud of smoke that it gave off was NOT soot. If it hadn't been ran in a while and was 40 degrees or less outside I had to give it a shot of WD-40 in the air intake to get it to start. It was wore out, I'm not kidding...I think it had ~170k miles on it.

It smelled horrible idling. The cloud of smoke that it gave off was NOT soot. If it hadn't been ran in a while and was 40 degrees or less outside I had to give it a shot of WD-40 in the air intake to get it to start. It was wore out, I'm not kidding...I think it had ~170k miles on it.

was it poorly maintained or just a bad apple? that thing should have gotten a lot more mileage on it than that!

Back