• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rotor removal rant

Bammer

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I am no mechanical guru, but nor am I a stranger to getting my hands dirty and "doing" it. But after today I am ready to turn in my man-card and join the manicured handed yuppie nation!

I have a ABS sensor that has some crud under it that throws it out of range and activates the ABS at low speeds, which has become quite annoying! SO, today I decide to tackle it after reading all there is to know! I dread the impossible caliper bracket 21mm bolts that are installed by King-Kong himslef, but within 45 minutes I have the truck jacked up, tire and all brakes components off, all thats left is the rotor. I then labor intensely for 3 solid hours trying to get the damn thing off. I heated and heated and whacked it with a rubber mallet! I pulled,I twisted,I pried,I wiggled,I worked up a gigantic sweat in 34° air in my driveway with no luck. It came close to the edge but it would in no way shape or form come the #$^& OFF!!!!! I then searched the internet,could there be something I am missing?? Went back to trying with no luck!!:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: I gave up and reassembled,came in and sat with my head in my hands and wondered what kind of girlie-man I have become?:(

Can someone tell me something that will get this bloody thing off, other than the capable hands of Mr stacks04!

HELP before I hand in my man card and buy a VW bug!!!!:WTF::WTF::WTF:

Thanks for listening....rant off

I had the same problem with mine, the rotors on m y truck had 2 threaded holes in them around the studs. Find the correct size screw (IIRC it was 5/16 or 3/8) and run the screws in till they hit the hub flange. Tighten them evenly and it should pop the rotor off.

Wow.... I have never had that trick not work. Try soaking the center area with breakaway (I prefer Cyclo brand or PB blaster)
on the front and from behind, and give it a few days.

If it came close to the edge there must be a ridge or rust there. Is there enough of an edge that you could clean it up with a file? It should come off with heat.

ManCardRevoked.jpg

:)

Heat got it free'd up but that last bit the dang thing just wouldn't go! I'll file some more and soak the living piss out of it. Now I wonder if it comes off,will it go back on??:rolleyes5:

I'll give it another try next week, if I fail again it'll be permanent Man card revokation!:(

By the time you get it off you will need a new rotor. I have seen this several times with GM's but i saw it the most with Dodges, the inside of the rotor swells with rust and gets hung up on the wheel bearing flange. Dodge has tighter tolerances so i found the best thing to do is just smash the rotor to pieces. You will find the metal on the side from the face to the rotor surface is very thin and an air chisel will break right through. If you cut all the way around the rotor like this you can take the rotor off in two pieces, if you use a large hammer you will have many pieces.

Thats my fear,it'll be destroyed and I'll have to replace something that doesn't need to be! My hands still hurt from all the pounding I did with my rubber mallet!

all that beating on it cant be good for the hub. Road salt around here is terrible, I suspect your dealing with the same thing.

Are you replacing the rotors? If yes, introduce the rotors to Mr. 3# sledge. They'll come off. If you are re-using the parts, find the heaviest dead blow hammer you can. That won't damage the rotors and won't bounce off like a rubber mallet.

Mine were rusted on and the truck never even saw the salt belt. A rubber mallet just bounced off so I didn't waste any time resorting to the sledge. Couple of whacks and they were loose.

This is a dumb question, but did you remove the spring clips from the wheel studs before pounding on the rotors?

I did remove the clips before beating on it, and it looks like I'll be getting a dead blow!!! Pads and rotors are still good. The rotor was loose but wouldn't slide all the way off, it would cock to one side or the other and thats it.

I've got the ABS fuse out for now but those 2 idiot lights staring me in the face is getting on my nerves!! Depending on the weather I'm shooting for New Years eve day to give it another go!

ABS sensor goes out of range at low speed, so whenever I am coming to a stop the pedal goes to mush. Not a huge deal but really, really annoying! The ABS light has never come on until I pulled the fuse.

WELL IT'S FIXED ! stacks04 had a heck of a time getting the passenger rotor off, I mean he beat the ever loving snot out of it and she didn't give up without a fight!!!! ABS sensors removed,rust cleaned,greased and reinstalled, BRAKE PEDAL is PERFECT ! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Went with 2 new rotors for good measure and kudos to OEM GM brake pads! A GIGANTIC thank you to Joe! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back