• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rod Knock?

Be happy you don't have AC. I lucked out and had valve trouble on the non-turbo side... Seen a set of injector lines on fleabay for 30beans if yours are rough BTW.

My lines look pretty good, hoping to not have to beat em up if at all possible. Geeze there is a lot of crap to pull just to get the valve covers off and I do have AC but it doesn't look like its going to interfere.

What kind of valve issues did you have? Anything similar to this?

My lines look pretty good, hoping to not have to beat em up if at all possible. Geeze there is a lot of crap to pull just to get the valve covers off and I do have AC but it doesn't look like its going to interfere.

What kind of valve issues did you have? Anything similar to this?

The valve somehow broke a corner off it and dropped into the chamber and blew out the exhaust doing relatively no damage. I'll find pix.

My sound however, was that of no compression, could hear it pfffffffft pffffffffft pfffffffffft everytime that that cylinder (7) tried to compress.

Raw diesel like a bastard outta the pipe. It actually started right up unplugged all night at 8df on 7 cylinders. THAT smoked like a bastard!!

Attachments

• Engine Internal 005.jpg
    Engine Internal 005.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Engine Internal 007.jpg
    Engine Internal 007.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Engine Internal 001.jpg
    Engine Internal 001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Engine Internal 006.jpg
    Engine Internal 006.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 24
Hmmm, interesting failure. Well I think at least mine is doing good in terms of compression, no pffffft's or smoke. Runs like a champ so far.

Is it just me or do these engines have the quirkiest failures, you can't take anything for granted. Chipped valves, push rods being chewed up in the basepan, runaway, holed pistons, etc. One thing I can say for sure if you've owned a 6.5 for awhile and did your own work on them then I think its safe to say you've seen alot.

Sorry for the delay but I was tied up pretty good with non 6.5 issues over the last couple of weeks but I'm back at it again now.....

96TD or 3500GMC any luck on your ends?

Same here on being busy. I did make some progress, but I still don't have any answers. I worked on the second motor, and took the intake off and all injector lines. I pulled the PS valve cover, and everything under there looks good. I didn't see any dropped valves, cracked springs or loose pushrods. I pulled the first injector, but had to stop. Ran out of time. I won't be able to play with it again for a couple of days.

Hmmm, interesting failure. Well I think at least mine is doing good in terms of compression, no pffffft's or smoke. Runs like a champ so far.

Is it just me or do these engines have the quirkiest failures, you can't take anything for granted. Chipped valves, push rods being chewed up in the basepan, runaway, holed pistons, etc. One thing I can say for sure if you've owned a 6.5 for awhile and did your own work on them then I think its safe to say you've seen alot.

I think that has everything to do with someone weather you or PO down the road letting it get way too hot. Goes right back to GM putting RED on the gauge at 260! That is 70-80 degrees hotter than the thermostat! Combine this with fan clutches that fail unlocked, and the downside of the radiators lasting so well is they get dirty and need to be cleaned.

My trucks PO used it for towing a big camper I think. I have the remnants of a 5th wheel hitch in the back, and a 50 gallon aux fuel tank in the back, so I think they did some long hauls. Also, I have some extra wiring in the back and an unused filter setup underneath, and a cut coolant line under the hood, which leads me to believe that my dually burned veggie oil at one time. I don't think they kept the truck clean, but other wise, I think they maintained it well.

Back