• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rod Bolts

3500_6.5

Reaction score
I am having the machine work done on my current build and everything is finished except the rods. They are being reconditioned and the plan was to replace the rod bolts, but my machinist said that ARP does not sell rod bolts for a 6.5. So my question is, are there any better aftermarket rod bolts anyone knows of? He says the stock ones are not stretched and could be reused if I wanted, but if there is another reasonable option, I would like to have something a little beefier. I have heard of using larger bolts, but not sure what bolts would work. If anyone has any input on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

For stock replacements, have your machinist look into Pioneer replacement bolts and nuts for stock. Good idea to replace when rebuilding. These are just original strength. Remember, setting the center to center length is extremely important on these engines, ensure that your machinist can do this with the new pin bushings and big end resize.

For something stronger as Chris mentioned, the Big Bolt Rods are a great solution.

http://www.uniquediesel.com/bigboltrods.html

Lead time is a month on building these though as I don't have a set on the shelf right now. We modify the rods, bolts, and set the length on a mill.

John

For stock replacements, have your machinist look into Pioneer replacement bolts and nuts for stock. Good idea to replace when rebuilding. These are just original strength. Remember, setting the center to center length is extremely important on these engines, ensure that your machinist can do this with the new pin bushings and big end resize.

For something stronger as Chris mentioned, the Big Bolt Rods are a great solution.

http://www.uniquediesel.com/bigboltrods.html

Lead time is a month on building these though as I don't have a set on the shelf right now. We modify the rods, bolts, and set the length on a mill.

John

I was actually originally planning on using your rods for this build, but ended up being overlooked when I was trying to get all of my parts together. I would still consider yours as an option, but I hadn't given the rods a thought until he called me on Friday asking about the bolts. I needed this engine together and in the truck a few months ago, so time has become a bigger priority on this build than it originally was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back