• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rod Bearing

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
Now that I have time on my hands due to this virus, I figure I can finish rebuilding the engine I tore down over a year ago. The problem is the Clevite rod bearings for 6.5's are on back order and won't be shipped till the week of May 15th. Should I just settle for sealed power or enginetech bearings found on rockauto? Anyone aware of any other manufacturers that make good bearings for our trucks?

Engine tech doesn’t actually make bearings, rings, etc. They buy from multiple manufacturers and relabel it. The trick is you read the secondary part number on the box itself snd they can tell you who the real mfr is. Clevite is one of their suppliers.

do not cheap out on bearings. Keep in mind when you get them you can send to Chris for coating on both the wear side for longer life and less friction, and build up iff needed for tighter clearance- Obviously check w/ him first because of whats going on right now.

some bearings are available coated from the manufacturer, but I haven’t seen ours pre-coated yet.

I haven't found any pre-coated for 6.5's either. The enginetech ones for the set on rockauto is $27 while the Sealed power is $70 and Clevite is $100. If price is any indicator of quality enginetech is probably cheap. Are there any other manufacturers making 6.5 bearings? I am sending them to Chris once I get them. The thing that really sucks is I can't get the engine balanced without them.

I thought I'd check ebay just for kicks. I found these coated kings bearings, just not sure how to tell if they are the correct size.

I just found this one on ebay as well. It says the manufacturer is perfect circle however the part number is the same as the clevite pn#. Am I to assume that clevite makes them?

If it ever come to rebuild time on My 6.5, I am thinking to get the main bearing caps ground, then engine block line bored, the cranking shaft ground so all journals are of the same size then get the crank nitro coated, then with rods, pistons harmonic balancer and flexplate get the entire rotating assembly balanced.
From what I have read and seen of firearms components, I think the nitro coating would be the way to go, not sure though if there would be something out there that would be better. Maybe Chris @Twisted Steel Performance can elaborate.
At least with getting the block line bored and the crank turned, there`d be no guess work on how many different thickness of bearing a person would need.

I've said before, I can get any combo of bearing sizes needed, I just need a list, and more than likely they are in stock..

With the low cost of bearings I keep several sets here for builds so I always have what I need, I don't sell from my stock but my supplier keeps plenty of stock..

I've said before, I can get any combo of bearing sizes needed, I just need a list, and more than likely they are in stock..

With the low cost of bearings I keep several sets here for builds so I always have what I need, I don't sell from my stock but my supplier keeps plenty of stock..
I wish you would have told me you could get them from your supplier when I said in my PM to you that they were on back order.

Hey guys what do you think of aluminum-silicon conn rod bearings for a 6.5? They're Engine Tech bearings from Rock Auto.

Engine tech brand isn’t really a brand. They buy left overs and over runs from all different manufacturers and box them under their own name.
I have aset of rings from them, but was able to use the sub numbers to identify who the original manufacturer was.

As to which bearings- tri metal, not the bi-metal. The way it transfers the heat and pressure makes a big difference. Then if you want to do better after you do the fitting test to ensure they are the right combination for optimal fit- ship them to Twisted Steel Performance for coating. If you look into bearings for almost any performance engine or long life engine, all the best brands are starting to offer them coated...but you won’t find 6.5 bearings coated because our engine is too rare anymore.

Interesting. I ended up ordering a set of Sealed Power bearings number 83860p. Pretty sure they’re tri-metal. I hope. I should confirm that. Thanks for the info!!

Back