• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

rocking at 90+

sicilykid91

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i started this thread on dp but no one was really helping my problem so i'll ask you guys. when i floor my truck and it hits fifth gear in starts to rock back and fourth, forward and backward. i thought it was fuel but i was told i didn't need lift pumps on the lower levels like 3 on my ats e-power. another guy told me it had to do with adjustment of the vanes in the turbo or somthing like that. does anyone else have this? fuel filter is good

You have an '04.5 so I'm pretty sure your don't have a VVT, so it's not the Vanes.

What are the RPM's and Boost Readings doing when this is going on? Are they holding Steady or Fluctuating as well?

You should maybe pull the MAF and see if it's Dirty. Even if it doesn't look dirty, give it a blast with Rubbing Alcohol and let it Air Dry.

rpms are normal and climbing and the turbo seems like it could be doing more it usually reads 23 and will stay there.

Your LLY does have a VVT.

James give good suggestions. Also, is what you are describing sort of a surge? It sounds like an underboost/overboost situation that might be programmer related.

i don't know it if i would call it a surge because it kind of levels out, like it starts and then starting getting better, just for a brief second or two. should i call ats?

i called the guys at ats and they said they would try a lift pump, and there lift pumps sell for $699. i sure would hate to by that and it not be the problem.

Ha, I didn't think they had VVT's that early? O well, no matter how much you Read on here, you always Learn something New every Day. :D

Here's another though...are you able to get over 90mph? Like say to 105mph? Could you be hitting the Speed Limiter?

I'd look at it bumping the speed limiter if you are going 90+.

If not, it sounds like a boost and/or fuel delivery issue that may be related to the programmer.

Last edited:
X2 on bumping the speed limiter, sounds like a surge at the point where it kicks in (96 mph) And vvt's were put on the 04.5 LLY's. 04's did not.

You have an '04.5 so I'm pretty sure your don't have a VVT, so it's not the Vanes.

Ha, I didn't think they had VVT's that early?

And vvt's were put on the 04.5 LLY's. 04's did not.

This is precisely why we should be talking about engine models, not years of the trucks. The LB7 (2001-2004) has a wastegate. The LLY (2004.5 - 2006) has a variable vane turbo... and that has carried through the LBZ (2006 - 2007.5) and the LMM (2007+). Since it's virtually impossible to just look at the model year and decide which engine you have (except for a few cases like '01-'3, '05, and '08+), it's 'way better to talk about engine model (or generation).

But what do I know...

I dunno to me it sounds like your just hitting the rev limiter. What RPM are you turning when the fuel cuts out? :D

This is precisely why we should be talking about engine models, not years of the trucks. The LB7 (2001-2004) has a wastegate. The LLY (2004.5 - 2006) has a variable vane turbo... and that has carried through the LBZ (2006 - 2007.5) and the LMM (2007+). Since it's virtually impossible to just look at the model year and decide which engine you have (except for a few cases like '01-'3, '05, and '08+), it's 'way better to talk about engine model (or generation).

But what do I know...

Good idea Randy, but you need to break it down a little further. The '06 LLY is NOT the same as the '04.5 - '05 LLY.

To the OP, it sounds like speedlimiter to me. If you were draining your rail (as in need a lift pump) you would be setting a low fuel rail pressure code. Any codes?

no codes, how would i know if it was my tc, and my rpms are fine my speed is fine, it happens right when i hit fifth gear.

What level are you running? What horse tune is it? This should tell you whether or not you need a lift pump. I agree you should throw a code if you are draining the rail.
You could put a pressure guage on the fuel delivery and see if you lose pressure. This might be cheaper than a lift pump at this point until you figure out the problem.

Back