• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rims: Black or Chrome on a Dark Blue Truck

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Wanted to know what you guys thought and wanted the opinions of the guys on here. My truck is a dark blue and would really like go to with a set of flat or matte black rims for my truck, either 16" or 17" rims (still debating on size as well). Do you think black rims would look good on this truck or should I stick with a set of chrome ones? I like black rims the most, but if they don't look good on the truck, there is no use to put them on. Thanks ahead of time for any and all input.

Not so sure about black either Dave. Gloss black maybe with chrome centers. Try a google image search on you truck. You might find some pics to get an idea.

Here is a pic of my truck, but you can also look into my garage for more pics.

Attachments

• i63170.jpg
    i63170.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00978.jpg
    DSC00978.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0857.jpg
    HPIM0857.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 5
Mike, that is what I was thinking. I have tried a couple websites and they don't have a Ram 3500 for me to see it on. I'd like to go with all black wheels, but I do like what Steve has on his truck.

Steve, I really think you have one of the cleanest looking truck on the site. Really like the sprayed lower body panels. Those rims look great on your truck, but being black, makes a difference then being on a blue truck, be it all dark blue. I guess I should start looking at chrome rims. I guess the black ones will have to wait for my next truck that will be white.

Though, I have thought about getting this truck repainted white. Several times.

Dave, his truck is actually a similar dark blue as yours is. It may look black from the pics but it isnt at all. Its hard to tell from the lighting in the pics.

Attachments

• HPIM0869.jpg
    HPIM0869.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM0861.jpg
    HPIM0861.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 4
Dave, his truck is actually a similar dark blue as yours is. It may look black from the pics but it isnt at all. Its hard to tell from the lighting in the pics.

Wow Nick, you're right. I didn't see that in his pics. I think the GM blue is a shade darker then what I have, but now that I see it, I like the look. Damnit, I'm just going back and forth on this wheels subject. Just call me John Kerry when it comes to trying to pick out a set of rims for my truck.:nono:

Being in IL think of the weather you have. How long do you think chrome wheels will last you?

Oh, I know for a fact, I would have to be cleaning them and polishing them about once a week, at least. I thought of going with the black rims because of that reason. A little easier maintance right?

Oh, I know for a fact, I would have to be cleaning them and polishing them about once a week, at least. I thought of going with the black rims because of that reason. A little easier maintance right?

Because of that go wit the black :thumbsup:

Blue on Black, looks good, thats why its a song too.

I like the Blue on Black look as well. That is what I kinda wanted to do and why I have the smoked cab lights and third brake lights, and will be getting the front windows of the truck tinted, getting the smoked brake lights and a black grille guard too and the flat black rims. I have thought of doing that since I bought this truck.

I think a polished aluminum would look good and most if not all are treated with a clear coat protecting the rim and making clean up a snap. Had a set on my old dodge for about 8 years and when i sold the truck they still looked great. I had them on all year long ,and I live in the northeast.

If your going with the black I suggest getting something that is Teflon coated. Makes a world of difference. I hose them off and they still look brand new. I think I am used that Finish 2000 on them once and that was to make them shine for a car show and that was it.

If your going with the black I suggest getting something that is Teflon coated. Makes a world of difference. I hose them off and they still look brand new. I think I am used that Finish 2000 on them once and that was to make them shine for a car show and that was it.

The couple black rims I have looked at are Teflon coated. I liked that a lot. I can imagine they are easy to clean.

As I'm not the smartest or know the most about rims (and have no problem admitting it either) if I'm looking at 265's or 285's on my truck, what size width of rim do I need to look at? 17x8? 17x9?

Considering I've run a combined 160k+ on 285s with the PYO 6.5" rims with no troubles, I'd say you would be good with the 8" rim Dave.

Back