• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rim selection

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Hello all, looking ahead to the next winter season as its about 1/2 the year for us here. I need to purchase a new set of tires that will be winter dedicated only. I currently run stock painted black 8-lug steelies and they are rusting pretty bad. I am looking to get a new set of wheels, of course trying to get some off of a newer style truck as this seems to be my favorite look. I run a set of 2011 8-lug rims in the summer. The salt here eats aluminum rims within 1 winter! So im looking to stay with steels. I really like these chrome nbs wheels, is the chrome just a wheel cover or is it actual?

Included is a picture of my summers and the chrome winters i want to purchase. Also these are the winter tires i want to purchase.

Attachments

• current summer rims.JPG
    current summer rims.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Chrome winter rims.jpg
    Chrome winter rims.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Cooper Discoverer M&S.jpg
    Cooper Discoverer M&S.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 9
they are just crome covers eventually rust will get behind them and they will bubble out. its like a chrome metal skin that is attached to a steel wheel. my dads truck has them. its a 2000. they will last about 5 to6 years. after that his started to rust and bubble out. you and me know how the winters are trying to have anthing nice is almost impossible. i got a set of steel wheels i put chassis saver on so far the salt has not got to them. and those tires are pretty decent. i usually get the mastercraft courser msr. there just as good just a bit less expensive. i try to pinch pennies any way i can

they are just crome covers eventually rust will get behind them and they will bubble out. its like a chrome metal skin that is attached to a steel wheel. my dads truck has them. its a 2000. they will last about 5 to6 years. after that his started to rust and bubble out. you and me know how the winters are trying to have anthing nice is almost impossible. i got a set of steel wheels i put chassis saver on so far the salt has not got to them. and those tires are pretty decent. i usually get the mastercraft courser msr. there just as good just a bit less expensive. i try to pinch pennies any way i can

Thanks for the reply, i really like the looks of them and think they will look real nice with a knobby set of snows. I would rather have a steel rim so i can sand and paint, but the chrome cover will be a plus for keeping it looking real nice when the rim may not be so nice. Id really like a set of PYO's, but 1 winter and they will peel i know it.

I see a ton of the steel wheels without the covers for sale, so i guess that may be what i do.

those crome wheels are my favorites too. i like aluminium wheel for weight saving but the salt kills them i'm trying to find a set of aluminum wheels to powdercoat i think that would help protect them from the salt.

I have a set of those wheel covers and the steel rims.

Staff Edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are exactly what im looking for. But man. Your prolly right. We are on opposite sides of the U.S. The distance between us just might be too much..

How about the covers and caps without the steel rims?

Id be real interested if they were chevy center caps.

For some reason part of me thinks there is a difference between the ones i found and the ones i see on ebay? See how the cover sits over the cap on yours? Does the first pic i posted look the same? Just wondering. Sorry if im being picky but i am just curious.
Its almost as if the chrome overlay sits behind the chrome center cap?

Id be real interested if they were chevy center caps.

For some reason part of me thinks there is a difference between the ones i found and the ones i see on ebay? See how the cover sits over the cap on yours? Does the first pic i posted look the same? Just wondering. Sorry if im being picky but i am just curious.
Its almost as if the chrome overlay sits behind the chrome center cap?

They're the same as the caps in your first picture with the exception of the GMC logo. The center caps in the first picture snap into the hubcap, so there is some portion that snaps behind the cap.

The caps your second picture are for aluminum rims and they just sit on top of the rim.

Here's a pic of one uncleaned cap & center cap:

attachment.php

Move on there, otherwise they will be thrown out.

So to change them to the chevy logo do i get a new center or do i put a sticker on the hubcap itself?

You're asking the wrong guy. I'm not that picky about such things. Well maybe I am, as I hate the plastic center caps, period.

I think thats the plan, im trying to find out a way to turn Big T's GMC caps into Chevy caps. Looking for a sticker basically to go in the center (im guessing thats what it is?) I really want a steel rim, they just look better for a longer period of time up here. Plus come the time they do rust the chrome cover will hide it. I will either run the Coopers or Mastercrafts in the winter, depends on what i can get the better price on.

I think thats the plan, im trying to find out a way to turn Big T's GMC caps into Chevy caps. Looking for a sticker basically to go in the center (im guessing thats what it is?) I really want a steel rim, they just look better for a longer period of time up here. Plus come the time they do rust the chrome cover will hide it. I will either run the Coopers or Mastercrafts in the winter, depends on what i can get the better price on.

Turns out my son had Chevy center caps on his PYOs. Those center caps are for rims and sit on top of the rims, whereas the center caps for the wheel covers have a larger diameter and snap into the wheel covers, in addition to being held on by the plastic lug nuts. I've offered all 8 of the center caps to DieselSlug, but it's up to him to swap the logo medallions. The logo medallions are already out of 3 of the center caps for the wheel covers. They are in place on all 4 of the center caps for the PYOs. The logo medallions are the same size and they appear (based on the center caps missing the medallions) to be plastic spot welded at 6 places. I tried knocking out the Chevy medallions with a rubber mallet and cracked the clear on one. Probably the best way to remove them would be to work a utility knife blade (no room for the handle) under the medallion from the back side of the cap and cut the weld spots. Then it would be a simple matter of epoxying them into place on the center caps for the wheel covers.

Turns out my son had Chevy center caps on his PYOs. Those center caps are for rims and sit on top of the rims, whereas the center caps for the wheel covers have a larger diameter and snap into the wheel covers, in addition to being held on by the plastic lug nuts. I've offered all 8 of the center caps to DieselSlug, but it's up to him to swap the logo medallions. The logo medallions are already out of 3 of the center caps for the wheel covers. They are in place on all 4 of the center caps for the PYOs. The logo medallions are the same size and they appear (based on the center caps missing the medallions) to be plastic spot welded at 6 places. I tried knocking out the Chevy medallions with a rubber mallet and cracked the clear on one. Probably the best way to remove them would be to work a utility knife blade (no room for the handle) under the medallion from the back side of the cap and cut the weld spots. Then it would be a simple matter of epoxying them into place on the center caps for the wheel covers.

You got my pm right? send me your paypal email when your ready.

You guys DO know, don't you, that advertising & selling in the open forum is against the rules. That's what the classified/for sale area is for. It IS NOT ok to shill something for sale in any old thread. :nonod:

Back