• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reviving a 1986 Chevy 6.2L CUCV

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Remember a few months ago when Devin and I brought this to my house?
P1100792.jpg

Well, it's a 1986 Chevy 6.2L CUCV that Devin, I and another friend have been tinkering with. It's been floating around my driveway sometime now. A little back info about the truck. It has 67k on it. It originally was an Alaskan troop truck equipped with an arctic heating kit. It was then sent to Florida after hurricane Katrina. This truck lived a hard life. When the truck was in our possession, we were able to diagnose that the the truck has more electrical problems than you can imagine. Almost the entire 12v lighting and dash stuff didn't work, glowplugs didn't work, and the starter didn't work. We have have rebuilt the starter, made a new glowplug harness, and fixed the major electrical issues.

So, After sitting, for over two years in non-running condition (due to electrical issues primarily), this clanky old detroit came to life. :evil:

Initial startup after 2+ years (video).

After the motor has warmed up a bit

I absolutely love the sound of these motors.

ALL the lights, and I mean EVERY light in the truck is tied into the Blackout light system. Alot of times it's as simple as the fuse being corroded and blowing from resistance. ONE fuse controls EVERY light in the truck. Yes, it's no fun when it blows. That is why my CUCV has a set of KC's on a switch run directly to the battery.

ALL the lights, and I mean EVERY light in the truck is tied into the Blackout light system. Alot of times it's as simple as the fuse being corroded and blowing from resistance. ONE fuse controls EVERY light in the truck. Yes, it's no fun when it blows. That is why my CUCV has a set of KC's on a switch run directly to the battery.
Yup, I'm aware of that. The blackout system actually works entirely perfectly. The service lights have some short somewhere.

Yup, I'm aware of that. The blackout system actually works entirely perfectly. The service lights have some short somewhere.

Are you sure it's a short ? ALL the SERVICE lights should run off one fuse if the wiring is not butchered. This setup puts alot of strain on the one fuse. If the terminals in the fuse block are not perfect it will cause resisitance and blow (or if you have a breaker) cause it to pop. If you have a breaker as soon as it pops carefully touch it and see if it's hot. If it is red hot you are gettting resistance through bad terminals. I am actually considering Putting the headlights on a relay system in mine to relieve some of the strain but I want to keep the blackout system operational. It's a neat toy when some asshole is tailgating and you throw the truck into blackout and jam his ass...

Are you sure it's a short ? ALL the SERVICE lights should run off one fuse if the wiring is not butchered. This setup puts alot of strain on the one fuse. If the terminals in the fuse block are not perfect it will cause resisitance and blow (or if you have a breaker) cause it to pop. If you have a breaker as soon as it pops carefully touch it and see if it's hot. If it is red hot you are gettting resistance through bad terminals. I am actually considering Putting the headlights on a relay system in mine to relieve some of the strain but I want to keep the blackout system operational. It's a neat toy when some asshole is tailgating and you throw the truck into blackout and jam his ass...
I know the service lights are shorted somewhere, the signal indicators stay on when no other lights work. Remember, the wiring in this truck is butchered.

BTW Glowplug issues can be the card. It has a circut board under the dash that the civvy models don't have IIRC.
Glows are bypassed via a new harness and switch.

Back