• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Review and Test drive of the New 2011 Ford Superduty

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
With some spare time today, I headed over to Freehold Ford on Rt-9 in order to finally get myself in the cab of the all new Ford Super duty. And man was I glad I did.

With the exception of the bold new front Grill(perhaps a bit overkill for for me. Especially with a 13" long FORD oval screaming at you), the truck itself still carries the same basic curves and lines of the traditional Super Duty. The name "Super Duty" has been relocated from the hood of the truck to the grill as well, leaving the hood with nothing more than rear cowls and paint. As for the tailgate, Ford has gone ahead and added a lock to it similar to the traditional car trunk. The same key that starts the massive 6.7L V8 also locks and unlocks the rear tailgate, so for you folks with tonneau covers for your bed, your contents can in fact actually be secured without fear of theft.

Stepping inside the available 4 door crew cab, I was greeted with a rather spacious interior, as well as some seriously comfortable seats. 3 point safety belts are available on ALL of the seats, even the center console. No more "just the lap belt" The interior itself was following more of a squared of design rather than the usual curves that follow todays vehicles. The truck I test drove was an XLT version and did not have the 4.5" LCD screen that sits between the speedometer and RPM gauge. As far as gauges went the dash features the two large typical Speedometer and tach gauges with 4 small gauges above them including Turbo boost, engine temp, trans temp, and fuel level. The negative to these gauges is they are idiot gauges. The turbo boost gauges is only 90 degrees sweep and goes from 0 to 40psi with a dash in the middle for 20, making it ineffective for any real diagnosis if there was a problem. The trans temp gauges gives no numbers what-so ever, but rather just uses changes in color over a 90 degree sweep to determine heat level. Not very effective to me, more for show than actual use. For those interested in the crew cab model and our dedicated NRA supporters, the rear seats flip UP by unlocking them with your key revealing additional storage under the seat. This unit has actually been approved and certified as a LEGAL gun carrying storage device. The seats still flip forward by a lever as well, revealing the usual space behind the seats associated with crew cab models. Ford even integrated 3 mounting points behind the seat for those with young children where the car seat can be restrained too.

Now for my personal favorite, the drivetrain. The whole truck in general impressed me from the moment the salesman opened the door, and there was no difference with being lucky enough to drive it. The ever noticeable solid front axle, mounted using a three link suspension and coil overs compromises the front end. Ford still retains using manual lockouts, with the latest unit allowing "auto" and "full lock" which allows the front differential to be fully locked. 4wd is engaged using a "4 on the floor" style shifter, which, is actually more of an eyesore than good looking, it could have used a bit of change in shaping for sure. The knob that provides info on what "position" engages what drive is tucked up under the dash while in 2wd HI, making it impossible to read without bringing it out.

The rear axle has numerous different options, ranging from a 3.55, 3.73 and a 4.30 gear ration with either an open diff, limited slip, or Fords New electronic rear locker. With the turn of a knob on the dashboard the rear axle will go from locked to unlocked at the drivers command. The unit even "unlocks" itself automatically at 35mph and above to provide a more relaxed feel on the road as compared to having a locker out back full time. Ford also added a cast rear diff cover with diffuser fins on it to help reduce internal temps as compared to the traditional stamped steel unit.

And of course the best for last. Behind all the fancy little options, do-dads and knick-nacks is Ford's very own, and the much awaited 6.7L Powerstroke Turbo diesel V8. Noise wise, the engine is dead quiet. But only slightly quieter than the 6.4 twin turbo at idle. During normal acceleration, the Honeywell built VGT Dual stage compressor turbocharger creates a quiet whistle complimenting the natural V8 growl. The truck uses a dual cooling system. One dedicated entirely for the engine, while the other is a dedicated system for the EGR exclusively and the Water-to-air intercooler. Ford was able to drop intake temps another 50 degrees just by adding the water-to-air style unit in conjunction with the typical air-to-air intercooler stacked in front of the radiator. Despite the massive amount of space there is to fill up using 2 intercoolers, turbo lag is not present at all. Under about half throttle, the turbo brought the truck to 20psi in less than a second and pinned me to the seat with little effort.

As far as the transmission goes it is also, like the engine, completely built by Ford. The 6 speed transmission has been specially built to work hand in hand with the 6.7L Powerstroke and they do a hell of a job together, providing smooth, slam free shifts, and keeping the engine within its power range. Those looking to get even more out of the truck will be happy to know that the mechanical driven PTO is standard on the transmission and is as simple as removing the cover, and bolting up the pump of your choice to drive virtually anything. Hydraulic pumps, dump bodys, air compressors. You name it, and chances are Ford has a pump to bolt up to the transmission that will fit your application.

As far as the little things go, the truck still uses the "elephant ears" style mirrors, but a quick flip of the electronic joystick that changes the mirrors angles will extend and retract the mirrors for you for towing. Parking in a tight spot has you all taken care of as underneath the joystick for the mirrors is a new button that automatically fold the mirrors in and back out. Great for those tight parking lots or garages where the big mirrors would usually stop you without getting out and folding them in yourself.

The test drive was outstanding. The truck was extremely responsive, not to mention very smooth to drive, despite the solid front axle. The turbo is not a moment behind the throttle pedal, and steering was tight and solid. No walking or "bump steer" at all.

In my opinion, despite it being a FORD product the truck is everything and more you would expect out of a truck priced at around $50,000. If I had the money I would have bought the truck right there on the spot hands down. It really has been designed and built for the American worker who still brings his family around in the same truck. I would give it a 9.7 out of 10 if it had a rating, just because it has small things that I didn't like so much. I encourage others to share there feedback if they have test driven this fine truck so maybe we can get a good running thread here on the truck as a whole.

Regards,
Jamie

Excellent review. The only thing is that it only has the water to air intercooler. No air to air. It does have 2 radiators though. Did you happen to look at that mess under the hood. Its insane! But all in all, the truck's throttle response is GREAT. Most likely due to piezo injectors and the SCR allowing the engine to not require as much EGR. I'm right there with you on the seats. They were AMAZING. I can't recall a caddy or lincoln i've ridden in that had better ones. People are already complaining about the price of these trucks. I bet the LML duramax will cost more still.

They are nice looking trucks. There is one at a local dealership that stickers at $62k. :eek: For that much money I would expect the bed to be filled with hookers and blow.

Me too Bud. I drove a base truck with an fx4 package, steel wheels and non chrome front grill (UGLY). it stickered for 46. I paid right at 40 for my 2010 ram 2500 with more options (it stickered for 45.2k, still less than the ford). They offered to sell the truck to my grandfather for 39k under the A plan (employee pricing) since he worked for Ford Motor Co. in Detroit some years ago.

Freehold Ford was telling me they have an F-450 Kind rachn dually coming in for, you guessed it-$62,000. WAY to much money to put into a truck that I would expect to work and get dirty

at 62,000 its a steal,up here in ontario canada,todays newspaper had a write up and test drive on a f350 lariat cc 4x4,single wheel,options navigation,20inch wheels,leather console seat,offroad pkg,power take off,all-terrain tires,heavy duty alt. ,6.7l diesel for the fantastic low introductory price of 75,409 plus taxes, freight the test drive gave it a great truck but wow what a price tag

Haven't sat in the newest Ford's but for some reason I have never found the seats and steering wheel position to be comfortable. Hard to describe it. My dept. has an Excursion that I have driven a couple times and the seats in that thing is horrid. First time I drove it I actually pulled onto the shoulder of the highway after a few miles so I could get out and look at the seat controls. I tried adjusting that thing all over the place. Felt like a 2x4 on end running right up the middle of my back. My back was so sore after driving that for a day I could hardly walk the next day.

Back