• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Reverse FLARE.

steelydan

Reaction score
What causes reverse flare? I had it a few times in my '95 and twice in my '99.
(Reverse flare as I understand it is when the truck suddenly accelerates just for a second when in reverse.)

I moved the PMD off the pump today. What a PIA. Mounted it to a large piece of heat sink. Bolted the heat sink behind the license plate as others have done. Then I had reverse flare twice today...When I removed the PMD from the pump the nuts on transitors were loose so I re-torqued them. I bought a new PMD from Pennascola but just re-installed the one off the pump on the heat sink. The new one will be spare.

It's caused when looking rearward and bracing your right foot on the go pedal. JK I have no idea. Leo

i had that happen once with my factory PMD and i almost took out the front end honda civic while the woman was still sitting in it. Scared the hell out of me.

Happened to me 3 times when the LP was on it's way out. Installed new LP and my problem was solved.

Hmmm, I can't remember if the new lift pump cured it on my '95 or not...I better check my lift pump. My 99 has also stalled about 3-4 times on me. Usually when i suddenly back off the throttle after missing a light or something. Maybe it's related? I have owned it for 1 year next week put over 55,000km on it so far, no major issues.

I damn near ate a BMW in a parking lot... scared that lady so bad she couldn't even scream at me for a few minutes (but boy, did she ever make up for it once she got wound up!)

Mine was PMD... the stealer told me my IP was dying, TD told me to try Bill Heath.

Hasn't happened since I put my PMD Isolator on... 4 yrs ago. I think the dealer was wrong.

Almost installed a new one yesterday. Currently it's installed in my glove box..Will check lift pump today. 7-10 psi at idle and >1 at wot?

My truck did this 3 times yesterday. I have Heaths PMD kit and lift pump and has 4lbs or so at WOT.
I was backing my trailer up into it's spot, total weight maybe 10k when it happened. What else is there?

Mine was without a doubt a failed ECM. I replaced it and haven't had it happen since. Gave my ECM to help a friend with a no start, and his truck did it as well with my ECM. Replacing the PROM made no change to it. My friend replaced the ECM that I gave him with a reman and his never did it again either.

I have a Heath ECM but he sent me another one to test out so I will swap it out and see if that was it.

I didn't really put 2 and 2 together til now, but i had this happen a few times shortly before I got my Heath performance pack, which included a new LP. never happened again after i installed it, geuss i didnt noticed the sudden lack of a problem.

I think I will test lift pump pressure. Got all service records when I bought the truck and cannot find a receipt for lift pump replacement. 4 IP's replaced under warranty and 3 PMD's. But not a single lift pump.

Back