• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

replacing rear end

I not messing around, but when i read the first post i thought the bearings were involved.:crazy:

As far as i know there are no problems w/ the 14 bolt. i would open it up and have a look, and of course change oil, etc. check for excessive play....and check those bearings!:biggrinjester:

The fluids a gimme, I'm going to see what shape the bearings are in. May just keep the old ones in case. The only seal that i haven't figured out how to check in the pinion seal. The only other thing i may see about in changing the steel section of the brake lines. how do you get to the pinion seal? is that what the extra bolts in the other end are for?

I guess I should have phrased the tittle better. what being changed is pretty much everything as far as the rear section is going. when the bearing went it bent the end of the housing so that had to be changed. instead of having to take it all apart and put in a new housing, I got lucky and found a complete setup. alot less messing around. that's the plan at least. everything came loose, short of one u-bolt it came loose n 2 pieces.:smilielol5: guess it's time for a new one.

I got it in finally. it took 1 1/2 days to do it but it's 95% done.:sifone: all I've still gotta do is fix the vent tube, fill it bleed the brakes, and figure out how to get the snap ring out so I can change whats left of the outer bearing.:eek:10: does anybody know what hold the fitting for the vent hose. It looks like it screws in but a can't figure out how it supposed to come out?

If you are talking about the fitting on the rear end that the flexible rubber vent hose connects to, I imagine that it threads in, but it may be pressed in or welded on/in. threading makes the most sense, but it may have cost 3 cents more, so anything is possible!:biggrin5:

So you are changing the whole rear end? your one post makes it sound different.
"and figure out how to get the snap ring out so I can change whats left of the outer bearing." is the outer bearings almost gone on the new one too?

If you are swapping complete rears, what gears did you get w/ the new one?

good luck!

I ended up changing the whole rearend. I have to use to old drums off mine because of the different brake size. I had the 3 1/2 wide pads and the donor was only the 2 1/2 ones. so now I have to get what's left of the outer bearing out. the new to me rearend has the 4.10's or atleast I think it is. I'll have to double check that. any secrets to getting the snap ring out? they're half stuck in there.

Last edited:
Back