• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement PMD stock or aftermarket? for 1994 6.5 TD

94turbo-

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my already relocated black PMD with a new GREY PMD with a new adapter harness and resistor, for more piece of mind. HOWEVER I see a DIPACO unit is available, anyone hear of...... or use one of these? Are they reliable?
I hear the Stanadyne grey was the most reliable stock unit, and rumors were there was to be aftermarket PMDs available, but I haven't heard of any until DIPACO. I fear they are OEM units, retested, repainted then rebranded, or maybe worse....... china built.

Or they may be a fresh design, robust and properly designed knowing the stock ones were........ not! Any thoughts?

Thanks for any info!

94Turbo-

Contact leroydiesel.com for a good PMD.

IF your current PMD is working keep using it til it is not working.

I would carry a spare at all times. I mount 2 heat sinks in my front bumper. One near each nostril. I use the license plate bracket mounting bolt to mount the heat sink. Some heat sinks I have pop riveted an aluminum angle to. so I could mount the heat sink to the bolt. Or because the PMD was pointing the wrong way for my likes.

I prefer the PMD connection to be pointing towards the hole in the bumper. It is much easier to access, disconnect and reconnect.

Dtech is a relabled Flight Systems PMD, thats a good thing. I sell the Flight Systems and Grey Stanadyne. Flight systems cost less and better warranty its as good or better than Stanadyne IMO.
I'll be back in town Monday if I can help.

Beware some PMDs are made in China now and are not good at all from reports Ive heard.

Dtech is a relabled Flight Systems PMD, thats a good thing. I sell the Flight Systems and Grey Stanadyne. Flight systems cost less and better warranty its as good or better than Stanadyne IMO.
I'll be back in town Monday if I can help.

Beware some PMDs are made in China now and are not good at all from reports Ive heard.

What's your opinion on the "bullet proof" FSD that Accurate sells? Are they anything different? I've got a Dorman unit on the pump that a PO installed but I don't know when and it's working good.

Run whatever unit you have that is working til it quits. They can last up to 100,000 miles on the pump. Nobody really knows how Dorman PMD's will hold p. As Leroy said they have a bad rep. Probably well deserved.

I would get a PMD and relocation kit to keep in the vehicle, til the Dorman fails

What's your opinion on the "bullet proof" FSD that Accurate sells? Are they anything different? I've got a Dorman unit on the pump that a PO installed but I don't know when and it's working good.

There is no such thing as a bullet proof PMD. As far as I know there are only 3 PMD's out there. Gray Standyne, Flight Systems & Dorman. In my opinion the newest Flight Systems are the best.

There is no such thing as a bullet proof PMD. As far as I know there are only 3 PMD's out there. Gray Standyne, Flight Systems & Dorman. In my opinion the newest Flight Systems are the best.

Understood. I was browsing AD and they mention their "HD pmd" and "bullet proof" pmd, I'm not sure on the brand nor am I in the market for an FSD but I was curious nonetheless. I was under the impression that Flight Systems was the same as Dorman, am I wrong? I have a spare Stanadyne laying around just in case, got it free :)

The "bullet Proof" one should be just a standard Stanadyne unit. I'm not sure what they are selling?. But Stanadyne uses the phrase "bullet Proof" in their marketing. It doesint mean anything.

I agree that you should mount one on a cooler, in the bumper and leave it for when the current one goes out. Make sure you have the extension cable ready. Leroy sells them.

I have a new Dtech PMD sitting in the cabinet that I would like to liquidate if anyone is interested.

How much? And how new?

I do believe the last upgrade on the Flight Systems was an actual improvement. The best luck I've had with PMD's since the original black Standynes. When exactly was the last upgrade on the Flight Systems PMD's? 2012 IIRC?

I agree that you should mount one on a cooler, in the bumper and leave it for when the current one goes out. Make sure you have the extension cable ready. Leroy sells them.

I have a new Dtech PMD sitting in the cabinet that I would like to liquidate if anyone is interested.

It is the new one that came on the side of my Dtech Injection Pump that I purchased in December 2011. It has never been used. I pulled it off and put it in the cabinet as a spare.

Back