• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

replaced the sending unit and fuel lines

Joey D

Reaction score
I pulled the bed off the truck tonight, removed the sending unit, guage was all over the place and I had a leak coming from up there. The factory lines were rotten around the crimp fittings and leaking bad.
I bought the new sender and the dealer even had new lines in stock, not cheap though.
Supply line went from the tank to the lift pump and the return went to the junction point in front of the lift pump where they change to run up to the engine. I am changing those next. Nice factory looking job when I finished.
One thing I liked that GM did was to coat the top of the tank where the sender is held in with the ring was all covered in wax and once I scraped the wax of it was like brand new under it, made the job very easy.
I was debating Tims fuel line mod but decided to skip it.

I just changed my lift pump the other day, then noticed a slight drip. Got under there today to retighten the lift pump, but it was actually the lines themselves like you were talking about. They're pretty well rusted, maybe installing the new lift pump disturbed them.

The lines were real bad right where they change over to rubber. The lines coming off the sending unit were also bad and falling apart.
Inside the tank was in very nice shape and the outside only had surface rust, nothing to worry about yet.
I am doing the lines that run up from under the truck to the engine as well they also look like they are ready to turn to dust.
I am pulling the GN hitch and the hitch on the back and having them blasted and painted while I am at it.

Back