• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replaced the 1500hd front wheel bearings

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
Front wheels started squeaking so I assumed brake pads were done. While pulling the first wheel/tire I noticed I could easily rock the top of the tire 1-2". #&*@ that's not good!

Grabbed up my 2 old wheel bearing assemblies from my 06 and went to work. Currently have one side done and side 2 50% apart but wife picked me up for lunch.

surumeme.jpg

I have a video of me rocking the bearing but I will have to load through photobucket later.

I think this might have something to do with the chitty mpg. We can always hope.

Source Unknown

In the above pic the top hub is my spare from the 06 the bottom is from the 03. Here is my rocking the wheel bearings, they were pretty bad.

Your old 03 Quadrasteer. Mpg kept dropping, front tires were wearing faster and faster, noise was getting louder, front end was loose. I was just guessing ball joints and brakes, I'm glad I jacked it up and checked. If one completely gave out that wouldn't have been good. Now I know the 1500HD and 2500HD front ends are pretty much exactly the same.

Yeah the wheel bearings I pulled from the 06 K2500 were still good, more of a preventative maint thing since I was pulling the CV's to get new boots. They will last long enough on the 03 to order a set of new bearings w/ lifetime warranty.

The one in the video turned out to be the better one of the 2. Seems they must have went out at close to the same time.

I hope the 2 used spares can make it to 200k, bout to hit 180k, so I can replace everything at once.

Source Unknown

I have to wonder how much wash board dirt roads play into this. My tires are busy. Perhaps OK would be a good suspension testing ground. Just hand the keys to a farmer.

Dale Sr. once correct Jr.'s driving telling him he was giving up speed by not holding the wheel firmly in the bumps. Beyond the bearing surface, I wonder what effect a wandering tire has on mileage. BTW, the loaner truck to deliver the bumper and hitch went out of town the wrong way. Still working a way to get em to you. Gonna see if the bumper will fit through the CTS pass through.

Back