• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

repairing cracked heads

chessie 6.5

Reaction score
This may be old news, but Goodson Mfg. sells a kit to repair issues with cracks between the valves. I have used the kit on three different engines several years apart; 82,86 and 94. You remove those tiny freeze plugs on the intake side of head. There is a small drilled passage that allows water between the valves. You use the drill bit that comes with the kit to drill out the passage to get it uniform. You then use an included reamer to final size the holes. There is a holder/installer that you put a thin split brass sleeve on. Put the split 180 degrees away from crack side. coat it with Loctite and drive it in with a hammer applied to the holder/installer till installer seats. Install new freeze plugs and you are done. Kit comes with enough sleeves for three jobs, I believe. They sell the items separate if you damage or from normal wear. I have had no problems or failures with this repair. I think I paid about $159.00 for the kit 20 years ago. Well worth it with saved heads.

Most of the cracked heads I have are cracked through the valve seat also. For as cheap as the chineese heads are,is it worth sticking money in something that is almost shure to crack more? New GEP heads can be bought for around $450 each. I had considered buying the tools and sleeves. I had diesel depot do that to my GEP heads. It is a very common practice from what i've heard.

Most of the cracked heads I have are cracked through the valve seat also. For as cheap as the chineese heads are,is it worth sticking money in something that is almost shure to crack more? New GEP heads can be bought for around $450 each. I had considered buying the tools and sleeves. I had diesel depot do that to my GEP heads. It is a very common practice from what i've heard.

Are these from clearwater or somewhere else???? I need a set coming up here real quick for my dump project.

Back